Trailer Shackle repair/Fix Pics

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This trailer is for my Jet boat but this will apply to other leaf sprind trailers as well. It tows much better as well after the fix.

Ok this trailer was home made many years ago I guess. It was made by "Hack and Butch Inc." trailers. I guess they did not have a drill, they torched all the holes and did not have a band saw either as you can see by the torch cut parts.

The shackle bolts were 1/2" and not 9/16" with washers taking up as spacers and it was just sloppy. Suprisingly the spring eye bushings were good. So I got all new spring eye bolts and went to work. I cut the half made shackle mount and made some parts and bushing to box it in and spacers and the outside shackle to in order to align the spring pack. The bushing welded to the plate will take up the slop in the torch burnt hole instead of a drill. Much better now.

cross_member07.jpg

cross_member08.jpg

cross_member09.jpg

cross_member10.jpg

cross_member11.jpg

cross_member12.jpg

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Trailer Shackle repair/Fix Pics

Pics cont.

cross_member13.jpg

cross_member14.jpg

cross_member15.jpg

cross_member16.jpg

cross_member17.jpg

T.J.
89 Baja 190es --project
Nordic Jet boat BBC EFI 8-71 (700+HP)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

wow those are some nice lookin welds!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Agree on the welds -- nice job. One thing I noticed however is that some of the nuts appear to be standard but others are self locking (nylocks). I suggest that nylocks be used in all of the spring hanger attachments.

TJS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Agree on the welds -- nice job. One thing I noticed however is that some of the nuts appear to be standard but others are self locking (nylocks). I suggest that nylocks be used in all of the spring hanger attachments.

The nuts on the bottom of the spring came with the shackle bolt kit (special shank bolts for shackles). I have red locktite on them. They are also torqued to what the bolt kit states. They are fine thread 9/16 specifically for shackles. I did not have any nylon fine thread lock nuts on me so I just used the ones that came with the kit.
T.J.