'85 Force Stator Question

KaIIen

Cadet
I'm sure this will fall under the category of "Stupid Questions" but figured I might as well ask...

I have an '85 85HP Force outboard (3cyl). The issue began with losing power. It seemed to run OK at idle, but increase the throttle and it loses power. Checked the plugs and found #3 didn't have a spark. At first, thought the coil was bad. Tried connecting it to a different CD-Unit, however, and it sparked fine. After reconnecting coils to correct CD-Units, now only have spark on plug #1. (Coils 1 & 2 are on CD-unit 1 and coil 3 is on CD-Unit 2).

Tracing the wires we discovered that the yellow wire that runs from the stator to the second CD-Unit has been burnt severely right were it connects to the stator. So, my stupid question of the day is, does it matter where on the stator the wire connects? Specifically, what I want to know is can I simply splice this yellow wire to it's counterpart yellow wire that goes to the first CD-Unit?

While I do realize that the BEST solution would be to buy a new stator, I would like to repair it (if possible) to save $$$.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Stator part# 176-5095 (CDI)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: '85 Force Stator Question

I have run a 90 off only one leg of the stator; It starts and runs, but I have not tested it at speed yet. SO: Why don't you try either connecting the blue wire to the CD box (Two blue are connected to the 1 and 2 cylinder box now) OR: try powering both CD boxes from the good side of the stator--Then let us know the results

KaIIen

Cadet

But using the second blue wire, will this effect the timing do you think?

This stator is used on the 3 AND 4 cyl models (thus the two yellow/two blue wires). On the 3cyl model, the two blue wires are spliced together. SOOO..ifI unsplice these wires and use one for each CD module, what affect would this have on the original CD module that had previously both wires?

KaIIen

Cadet

Anyone have an idea on if my last question would effect the timing or have any other undesired effects?

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you hook it up the way Frank says to, it should not effect the timing.

-Mark

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The boxes have two sides (one for each cylinder) and each side is powered by either a blue or yellow wire. Since there must be someplace for the second blue wire to go and since that side of the second box is unused, the second blue wire is spliced to the first. The factory did this so that the same stator could be used for a three and four cylinder engine. Unsplicing the blue and using it will not affect timing as it simply charges the CD box. However, I have not tried this way. I simply used only one set of yellow and blue to power both boxes and it worked to start and run the engine at idle. As I said before, I don't know if it will work for the load needed at high speed, BUT, it is worth a try.

Thus: If you do try this, repost and let us know how well it worked if at all. That way, we all learn something new.

KaIIen

Cadet

I wasn't sure if the placement on the stator had anything to do with timing, or not having that one yellow wire connected anymore would have any efect.... I certainly can't make it worse if I mess up, so I will def try. It'll be a couple weeks about before I get it up and running, but I will post back on results.

Thanks for the advice!