Gluvit vs Herculiner - Aluminum Boat

croag

Cadet
Well, I did what i told myself I'd never do, but i've grown tired of bank fishing, so bought a little 12ft aluminum that's in decent shape but I'm looking to class it up a tad before slay bass. I'll start a restoration thread as I start but in support of that project, i have a general question:

Gluvit vs herculiner (or other protectant) - I'm thinking (after all the necessary prep, re-revit, JB weld, 5200, etc) of applying Herculiner on the outside of the hull and gluvit on the bottom. Is this a good idea (not accounting for drag) or should i flip flop that, Herculiner on the inside and gluvit on the inside?

Also - I believe that Gluvit and Herculiner may serve different purposes, is that correct? if so, what are some alternative products to each and how do they stack up against each other?

Many Thanks - I'm looking to become an active member of this community rather than just 'trolling around' (pun intended! :rolleyes:)

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gluvit vs Herculiner - Aluminum Boat

dont try so hard, use gluvit. Save the hurculiner for your truck...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Gluvit is applied on the outside of the hull and used as a barrier coat.

I would not add in bedliner....... unless you want to have extra weight ;)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live up here in washington state and using a bed liner on little fishing boats is VERY popular up here. Everyone I have ever talked to says they love it. But here on Iboat's it has never been very popular idea.

I just used a product called COAT-IT on my 21ft starcraft. So far i am very happy with it. It was a little cheaper than the gluvit, but same concept. I coated all the rivets from the inside, and it seems to get the job done.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats on the new 12' Croag. I bought a 12' Sea King a couple weeks ago and am restoring it. Same here for Gluvit!! Please post pics if you can!!

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gonna be dragging this boat a lot?? Or planning to bounce it off of rocks at running speed?

Other than that, for the bottom, I reckon I would just go with paint. (or no paint at all, polish once a year and call it good)

Maybe some equipment paint from a farm supply store or Rustoleum. Yep, you will lose some now and again, but with those paints it will be very easy(and cheap) to touch up.

croag

Cadet

Solid answers guys!

So - I think i was leaning towards herculiner because i can get in a color scheme to match the boat (which is not entirely decided upon yet..but they quite a large assortment)

Does Herculiner really add that much weight?

Also - Can I spray paint right over the gluvit? ( I didn't look at other posts which i bet would tell me). I was under the impression that gluvit dried super smooth which seems problematic for painting... Thoughts?

I'll be starting a restore thread later tonight or tomorrow - going back to the garage to get back to roughing up the aluminum!

Thanks!

JAFO1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been considering Durabak liner for my deck. But, I don't have any experience with it.

croag

Cadet

Awesome info!

Does herculiner or equivalent really add that much weight to the hull?

Sheyd

Recruit

New to the forum so hello everyone. I wouldn't put anything on the hull unless I had to. I have a few boats and i think those boats should be as low maint as poss. It may not look quite as pimp but that dull (oxidized) finish serves a purpose. It protects the aluminum JMHO