self-etching primer

rebuild25

Recruit
I started replacing the floor in my 16ft starcraft 2 weeks ago which has lead to a new transom and repainting so i've been reading all kinds of helpful stuff here on this site. I now have a good plan for repainting from all the info i've gathered here but I can't find self etching primer in anything other than a spray can. Is that all it comes in. I'm going the rustoleum route and would like to brush on the primer and avoid over spray and besides putting it on evenly with a spray can doesn't sound like something I'd be able to pull off to good. Would much rather roll/brush it on.
I try to put up some pic's

Attachments

• org1.jpg
    org1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0
  • org2.jpg
    org2.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • org3.jpg
    org3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 0
  • side sanded.jpg
    side sanded.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • transom sanded.jpg
    transom sanded.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: self-etching primer

Kinda expensive but i found this

p38424.jpg

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-self-etch-primer-gallon-gray.html

I'm just sayin...:D

North Beach

Commander

RB, the only way I've ever seen it is spray cans, and the gallon buckets. FWIW, you should only need about two spray cans for the bare spots you have there.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

try you rlocal NAPA auto parts (atleast here in Vegas) has automotive paint supplies (IE self etching primer in quart cans) which has a catylsyt....good stuff! and theres 10000 places online....even autozone might carry it

but if you prime with that you have to sand it...and then wipe down with degreaser/dewaxer...tack cloch wipe it....so the paint will stick....

for the most part paint WONT stick to aluminum...it will flake off etc....:(

Acid etching and rinsing with water, then using a spray bottle and applying ALODINE.....(theres kits available) then you apply your paint finish to the alodined surface....its like a buffer between the aluminum and the paint....paint sticks to alodine and alodine sticks to aluminum

Either way painting aluminum can be some work....

Some of the guys on iboats have used Petit Easypoxy on thier tinnies....a couple had ok luck but most have had it come off and chip up super bad....not fun!

hers some tips from some websites on a google search

http://www.takeem.com/blinds/aluminum-paint.php

and heres something I pulled off a porsche forum (aluminium body panels)

my 79 was also repainted and after 2 years with a piece of masking tape on the hood to mark a dent it pulled the paint coating off to bare metal.
Once this happened it was easy to use a blade to scrape the rest of the paint off the hood and fenders.
Turns out they used a regular dark primer and top coated it, nothing done to aluminum as as we could see
When I repainted the car it got a chemical wash then alodine then lite coat of zinc chromate then 2 sanded layers of epoxy primer then 2 base coats then 3 coats of clear, the paint was fantastic once it was sanded and buffed