Observation that surprised me

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
How much drag an open bimini and an open cuddy hatch can create. First time out with the new 17 pitch aluminum prop (replaced a 15). We were towing 2 large tubes, had the bimini up and the cuddy hatch open. Looks like I picked up 5 mph by simply closing the bimini and the hatch. They create much more drag than I expected.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Observation that surprised me

Yeah, it's alot! I found on my 21' Pro-Line that in a stiff headwind it could act as a parasail and actually keep the boat from planing out- couple times it stayed bow high until I managed to somehow dump the trapped air.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

having the bimini up on my jet boat costs me about 5 mph also. (52 down to 47 or so) Partially the drag, but also because the bimini directs alot of air down in the back. The stern gets lift, but sticks the bow down resulting in a much wetter hull.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

having the bimini up on my jet boat costs me about 5 mph also. (52 down to 47 or so) Partially the drag, but also because the bimini directs alot of air down in the back. The stern gets lift, but sticks the bow down resulting in a much wetter hull.

Ditto mine..4-5 mph