MercCruiser 3.0 w/ Carb problems

Big Fish123

Recruit
Brand new to boating and learing the hard way with a cracked block when I purchased this used boat. New engine is in and ran great for a month but now I am bogging down when I get past 1000 RPM's as a matter of fact I cant get it past 1000 RPM no matter what. It idles fine though. Its a 95 Bayliner that has been sitting for about 2 years. Suspect the carburator... Would like to put a new manifold and a 4 barrell carb for a little more speed... Thoughts and where should I go to get these parts. Forgot to mention I am new to engines as well. Thanks for your help in advance as I learn that this is an expensive hobby

antsmands

Seaman
Re: MercCruiser 3.0 w/ Carb problems

Brand new to boating and learing the hard way with a cracked block when I purchased this used boat. New engine is in and ran great for a month but now I am bogging down when I get past 1000 RPM's as a matter of fact I cant get it past 1000 RPM no matter what. It idles fine though. Its a 95 Bayliner that has been sitting for about 2 years. Suspect the carburator... Would like to put a new manifold and a 4 barrell carb for a little more speed... Thoughts and where should I go to get these parts. Forgot to mention I am new to engines as well. Thanks for your help in advance as I learn that this is an expensive hobby

Yes it can be expensive until you get it running right. Dont know if you can get a 4 barrel manifold and carb for a 3.0 and wonder if it will make a big difference anyway. Try 1st rebuilding you carb. Not hard just tedious. The kit is easy to get. I ordered mine from I-boats but there are many other suppliers. How is your ignition system. Is the timing correct, points, etc. More details on the boat will help others help you.

Good Luck!