Boat Auction --Lake Delhi Iowa Dam broke no lake

Purecarnagge

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They are going to hold a boat auction in september just wondering what I should expect. I would imagine a bunch of people at this auction will be there with reserves. Do you think its worth going up to this? I have a feeling there won't be as many deals as you would expect since this would be the first auction, etc.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat Auction --Lake Delhi Iowa Dam broke no lake

I'm not understanding why all the sales of boats. A quick glance at a map shows other places within driving distance, most notably the Mississippi.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat Auction --Lake Delhi Iowa Damn broke no lake

I'm not understanding why all the sales of boats. A quick glance at a map shows other places within driving distance, most notably the Mississippi.

A lot of people around that area keep their boats docked and only go out when convenient for them. Some do not even have trailers. So, they will not waste their time trailering to somewhere else or the hastle of maintaining their own boat. Sad really.

I would imagine that will be loaded with dealers from all around the Iowa and Northwest Illiois. All with big checkbooks looking to stick a fat hog.

Depending on what you are looking for, it might be worth it to go. I would go just for the stuff marinas and dealers might not want. Tubes, skiis, ropes, jackets, all the fun stuff:D Of course someone else probably has the idea to get all of that and we will see it on ebay or CL.:mad:

Purecarnagge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mainly looking to find a 19 ft bowrider for about 8k would be ideal.

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep like thad said there are people here who refuse to use the mississippi, some who live right on it but wont use it...

true story the guy that rebuilt my out board told me he already has done a winterize for a guy who has a close to new $30k rig that he uses 3 weekends a year... he lives less than 10 mins from the big muddy

i actually bought my boat from Hartwick Marina on Lake Delhi a couple months ago....it actually seemed like a nice area, a bit exclusive and lots of high dollar pontoons and ski boats everywhere

i saw a video that showed that particular marina and the water is a couple hundred feet out from where shore used to be, and down obviously tho im not sure how far.

At this point no one is sure what/if anything will be done to restore the lake, as the dam is currently privately owned by the homeowners association

dmoriarty51

Petty Officer 1st Class

it should also be noted that in pics and vids lots of boats were seen sitting precariously on shore stations, lifts, hanging from docks, or just plain grounded after waters receded..... also important to remember the lake flooded prior to the dam break and many boats were set adrift..

could be a great chance to snag a great boat, but "Buyer Beware" rings loud.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

where do I find one of them ***** stations?

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Any web site listings of these boats we see, would be good to attach to this thread for others to see. As I recall, there was someone on here looking for a real good deal on a Bayliner up in Iowa just last week.....

Purecarnagge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think its a good idea to see where the market value is for a boat though. Not at this time, it was just a small piece on the news last night.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as a person that frequents auctions... i have found that there is allways a time when the bidders get caught sitting on thier hands and you can steal something.

trick is to check out every boat you want....i mean really check it out.....then go to the turkeys and check them out too.

chances are if you are sharp. you will come home with a screaming deal.

Bondo

Staff member

chances are if you are sharp. you will come home with a screaming deal.

Ayuh,.... Ya Never know,....

I've got a 34' Houseboat for $500. at a Marina auction... Cost as much to move it, as buy it...
And, just a few weeks ago, I bought a Wellcraft Nova 23XL for $800. on a trailer, with a bad motor..
At a County Surplus auction...

Purecarnagge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just going to wait and see. Wife is pretty pick about what she wants. We want 4.3L or larger engine, with a 19-20ft boat with a sunpad.

we'll see what we find. Everything I found so far doesn't have the sunpad, or just looks terrible.