Swap engine or engine and outdrive.. help

akfishin

Cadet
I have a 5.0 FL with a 290 DP c-1. The outdrive has about 1500 hrs on it. The motor has about 350 since the previous owner dropped a new ford core in it. I want a little more power and to get away from the carburated engine. It runs fairly strong, but my boat hull itself is 4500-5000 lbs without taking into account the motor, gear, etc. From what I can tell I'm running about 190 hp from my current motor.

Currently the flow meter shows 14 GPH at 25 to 26 knots. Is this good/bad/indifferent? Other Osprey owners seem to be doing better but with newer Volvo setups. I'm told, and assuming, that increasing HP would therefore use less fuel as I would not have to work the motor as hard to go a certain speed, as long as I stay off the throttle that is.

So I am at a decision point.

Option A - Rebuilt 5.7 GSi mated to a rebuilt DPS (rebuilt locally at marine shop, they got them from a repower they completed). Shop said they want 11,500 plus about 2,000 for install but will give credit for my old motor and outdrive. Also have a selection of props and are willing to let me swap them out til I find the set I want. Price includes all required gear for install, new everything.

Option B - Order complete new motor and have shipped to AK. Price online is 8,000 for 5.7 MPI (non volvo, GM block). The bellhousing required is included. Option B has me reusing my existing 290DP C-1. I would pay someone to do the install as the front mounts won't line up and new ones will have to be tapped.

Both options are 300hp units I'm told.

My wife likes option B as we're not potentially getting someone else's problem. I am concerned with option B as I'm unsure how the outdrive will hold up and if I'll be able to attain parts should I need them for it. Also, as it's not a volvo block, where to attain parts, distributor caps, etc, to me is a bit sketchy.

I like option A as I envision parts availability being slightly better, as I know exactly what I have, and the volvo guys in AK are pretty well stocked. Easier to find someone to work on it to maybe?

I need input. In this day and age with computers, I easily overload with data and can't make a decision to save my life.

Thanks for the help!

Dan