Whats in YOUR boat's onboard Tool Box?

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Battery snap top box: Compression gauge, 2 spark plugs, 1 water pump impellar, 1 t-stat w/ gasket, 3' of fuel line, 8' of wire, hose clamps, fuses.

Small socket set, small wrench set, adjustable wrench, slip joint pliers, phillip and flat blade screw driver, WD40, tube of marine grease, liquid electrical tape

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Whats in YOUR boat's onboard Tool Box?

Insurance policy, dynamite, flotation devices for driver, passengers, and fishing equipment.

Honestly... 1 roll of boat tape, wire, electrical tape, crimps, fuses, 1 set of gearwrench's, 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet sets, prop wrench, screwdrivers, and a voltmeter.

I really don't have to carry anything other than that, if I lose anything major then I call back to shore and we tow it back with the Pontoon or Bayliner and put it in the shop and fix it. Changing out an impeller in the middle of the lake doesn't appeal to me very much.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Our lakes and rivers are pretty shallow......hit up the sand bar and go to work.
I'm always trying to prepare for the "worst case" and hate to ruin a day of good fishing!

Sixmark

Mine is on a chain of lakes that the average depth is 75ft, and the boathouse has a full shop, we are usually in and out in an hour so we really don't lose much. I am an exception to the rule though as not everyone is lucky enough to have that resource.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

wow....75'. If we find a hole thats 30' or 40', and it is a hole by all means...drop a line and get the catfish because everything else is about 3'- 15' average.

Sixmark

Lol, I hear ya, I've been out that way in my travels, there's water out there, but a whole lot of it ain't that deep.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have come to find that most stuff can't be fixxed on the wate so I have the most basic tools, screw drivers, spark plug wrench,2 Crecent wrenches and pliers, that qwill get you past alot of stuff btu I never saw the need for a giant tool box on the boat, as I said normally when it breaks there si a part involved so the best tool box won't help you.

Of coarse where I fish I am rarely more than 3-5 miles from the launch, I run 2 batteries and have a 55lb troller so I know I can get back to the launch.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I only carry my cell and my towboat US card.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I have a Leatherman on my belt that handles 99% of my problems.

The box contains a screwdriver w/interchangeable bits, crescent wrench, pliers, spare drain plug, another spare drain plug, fillet knife, zipties, duct tape, 5 min. epoxy, shear pins, fuses, spare TM prop and a spare OB prop.

If all that can't fix it my day is over.:D

saumon

Lieutenant

As i sometime trailer it to some remote areas, in addition to the tools already mentionned, i always carry a powerpack, a leaf spring and all the corresponding hardware and a pre-greased wheel bearing assembly in a zip lock. You never know...

eavega

Lieutenant

Screwdriver with interchangeable tip (phillips, flat), set of SAE allen wrenches, an adjustable wrench, spark plug wrench, roll of duct tape (duct tape is like The Force; it has a light side and a dark side, and it binds together the universe), extra set of spark plugs, extra transom plug, emergency start rope, extra set of AA batteries and a flashlight.

If I am going to do some tuning, I also throw in my spark tester, multi-meter, compression tester.

-E

SigSaurP229

Commander

I keep all of the following.

Cheap standard size socket set from 1/4" to 5/8" including spark plug socket and 3" extension its small. I keep a small set of wrenches from 3/8" to 9/16"

I keep some electrical connectors, a pair of linesman pliers and a pair of channel locks.

4 screw drivers 1medium flat and phillips and 1 small flat and phillips.

2 extra drain plugs

Glock 19 for when the motor really starts acting up

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Electrical tape, super tape(duct tape on steroids), wire ties, electrical connectors, prop wrench, prop nut and washer. Cresent wrench and water pump pliers, multi tip screw driver, hose clamps, fuses for everything that needs them, block to wedge prop, when removing nut. WD40. Small multi tool with needle nose and knife.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I forgot... + a lighter and several books of matches in a ziploc bag and a couple of those glowsticks.

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

HA.....the good ole' onboard tool box saved the day today. Friend bought a boat, 15' Mcallister F/S with a 1981 Johnson 75hp. We took it out today for a test spin, and I brought my boat along just in case something happened. Ran for about 1.5 miles and he stopped. I turned around and went back, he said the RPM's just shot up the the boat stopped moving. I asked him if he was trimming...said no. Thought to myself maybe he spun the hub, tilted the motor up and there it was..foot hanging about 1.5" inches below the mid section. All the bolts came out except 2 and they almost backed out. Bolted it back up....nothing.

Pulled him into 2' of water, tied a rope around the prop. Gave him the rope end and told him to hold tension on the rope. Disconnected the shift shaft, removed the bolts, and grabbed the lower. Had him to release tension on the rope and removed it. Broken Drive shaft was the problem. Pulled around, hooked up a rope and towed him to shore with my little merc 25.

May ask, why did'nt I do that to start with? Well, I was low on gas, and was hoping it was something I could fix without towing a mile against the tide, a boat twice the size of mine. Still, HAPPY I HAD MY TOOL BOX ONBOARD.