Skier pulling boat

frost

Recruit
I'm buying some lightweight boat 15-17 ft with outboard engine. Will use that for slalom etc. I've done skiing/driving with small boats and know that skier will pull the boat sometimes quite hard. I've skied also behind inboard, so I know what real skiboat feels like, but now I'll start with some low budget solution.

What are the factors preventing skier pulling the boat in slalom? Is it only weight of the boat which keep the boat in straight line or does engine type, place of pylon/eye, degree of V-hull or other factors play some role ?

Any ideas how to get small boat more stable ?

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Skier pulling boat

I'm buying some lightweight boat 15-17 ft with outboard engine. Will use that for slalom etc. I've done skiing/driving with small boats and know that skier will pull the boat sometimes quite hard. I've skied also behind inboard, so I know what real skiboat feels like, but now I'll start with some low budget solution.

What are the factors preventing skier pulling the boat in slalom? Is it only weight of the boat which keep the boat in straight line or does engine type, place of pylon/eye, degree of V-hull or other factors play some role ?

Any ideas how to get small boat more stable ?

I don't think there are any. The boat charactersitcs aren't gonna change. Perhaps a lighter skier.

haulnazz15

Captain

Those factors all have a play in how likely the boat will move under the tension from the skier. However, there isn't really much you can do about it. On a 15-17' boat you really only have the option to add weight or relocate the rope attachment point towards the center of the boat.

BoomerSooner

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, center boat position for the mounting point is key. My old boat had an eye on either side of the outboard. You had to countersteer when someone cut hard. My current boat has a center position eye, 17.5 foot Carlson, 150 OB. I can feel someone pulling the speed down a little but not the sideways action of the previous boat.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Running with the trim down most of the way keeps more of the hull in the water and the boat tracking better.

NOT using a tow pylon helps - towing with a short bridle from the transom eyes works great. With the lower attachment, there is less leverage to rock the boat. It will also help with hole-shot for the same reason - a pylon tall enough to clear the motor will act like a lever, keeps the bow up and I've found that the boat doesn't plane out as quickly.

gjm700

Cadet

Hi Frost,
Drop into a local water ski club & talk to some of the drivers/skiers, They will set you in the right direction!