How to Repair Gimbal Ring / Steering Pin Area?

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone here successfully repaired their gimbal ring steering pin hole?

I'm rebuilding my 20 year old Alpha Gen I. It has a lot of slop in the steering. The gimbal ring is wallowed out a good bit. The part new is +/-$500. I found a guy (JR Marine) who welds and machines them for about half of that. Before I spend the money I thought I'd ask the good people here if they're ever successfully repaired their own ring?

My neighbor says I should clean it, get an aluminum welding stick and a torch, build it up and file it down. That sounds easy enough, but it's not something I've done.

Here's some pictures of the 2 parts:

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: How to Repair Gimbal Ring / Steering Pin Area?

Retorque the two gimbal ring clamping screws (on top) to 55 ft lb, should tighten it up. If not send it out to JR, you don't want to mess with something so critical to your boat's safety.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Retorque the two gimbal ring clamping screws (on top) to 55 ft lb, should tighten it up. If not send it out to JR, you don't want to mess with something so critical to your boat's safety.

Thanks Stony,
Those bolts are tight. I just talked to JR. The rebuilt unit is going to be $300 because my lower feet are worn past the paint. I found a new Mercruiser ring for $430. I also found one on eBay for $200. But that might be $200 for another one like mine. The new part is sounding like the right choice.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I really like Ron at JR, I was having trouble with a loose ring (while I ignorantly believed that the bolts should not be retorqued) and sent it to him, He called and said the ring met spec. and was OK, so he sent it back, even refused my offer to pay return shipping. I put it in, torqued it to 55 (retorqued every spring), and has been fine. Anyway, I trust those guys to do it right:). Good luck.

clockwatcher

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really like Ron at JR, I was having trouble with a loose ring (while I ignorantly believed that the bolts should not be retorqued) and sent it to him, He called and said the ring met spec. and was OK, so he sent it back, even refused my offer to pay return shipping. I put it in, torqued it to 55 (retorqued every spring), and has been fine. Anyway, I trust those guys to do it right:). Good luck.

That's good information. I haven't put a torque wrench on those bolts, but the hole is pretty bad. I'll give it a shot after work. I've got nothing to lose even if I break it.

I'll be torquing this new ring every year.
Thanks again.