Prop wont fit back on?

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class
All, I have a 66' 40 hp Evinrude and I'm having trouble getting the prop back on. I pulled it off with my bare hands and I would expect to put it back on the same. I checked for anything obstructive and its all clean. Any tips? :) thanks guys.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop wont fit back on?

I'm pretty sure that is a pin drive Is there a piece broken pin in the way?
If you put it in gear you may be able to rotate the prop on the shaft.
Are you saying it won't fit on the shaft at all or it binds before being on all the way? if the prop bore is dirty/corroded or the shaft has a slight bend or corrosion the prop may only fit one way.Wouldn't hurt to clean it up a little with steelwool or
copper scrubbie. put a little lube on the shaft.

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks steelespike. I've checked and there's nothing in the way. I will try taking some steelwool and lube the shaft like you said. The Shaft itself isn't bent and the lower unit was taken off to rebuild the water pump. I might have to use the force on this one ;)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

This may seem obvious but did you get the prop mixed up with another.

robert graham

Admiral

If it slid right off then it should slide right back on, are your splines lined up correctly?, not trying to put it on backwards?...

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah i wouldn't exactly say it slid off. More like I had to hit it a little with my hands to pop it loose. I was painting near by maybe a little overspray got in there. I think the steelwool should help. Thank you again. I'll report back if I have any more issues.

robert graham

Admiral

Clean those splines with a wire brush, clean the prop splines, add some grease, should slide right on!