Anything look wrong here?

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I wonder if you could have a look at the attachments and tell me if other than looking extremely old if this motor looks like a typical marine setup? Anything out of place? It's supposedly a Chevy 350" attached to a Merc drive, the boat is 1972 and hasn't been run in a few years. I'm told it has 700 hours.
Thanks, I might go look at this on the weekend.

El Toro

Attachments

• boatzz 013_1.jpg
    boatzz 013_1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • boatzz 014_2.jpg
    boatzz 014_2.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 0

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anything look wrong here?

its kinda cobbled.
looks like no access for maint.
automotive intake.
fuel system wont pass USCG regs.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

It also appears to have a closed cooling system. Is this a salt water boat?

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...it kinda strikes me odd that the heat exchanger appears 'original', the Chevy intake automotive, all those new hoses and pretty stainless steel clamps neatly aligned, blue form-a-gasket squeezing out of places, some pretty shiney fasteners yet others quite rusted, El cheap-o distriburor cap and plug leads, no USCG approved markings on the hoses.........kinda makes me believe some one pieced this thing together to get rid of it.

I'm glad I don't have to change plugs on this one !!!

No offense meant. I'll second the 'cobbled' opinion.

zbnutcase

Commander

Marine SBC does use the automotive intake manifold. It has no choke, the blue dist cap is correct for a Mallory maine dist, much newer exhaust manifolds and shift quadrant, and I would run away as fast as your feet will allow.

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies guys.
Just for clarification since I'm such a newbie with inboard/outboards, Doernuth does closed cooling mean fresh water cooling? Yes it is a saltwater boat, it's a 1972 25' Bellboy from the Seattle area. So who knows what's been done to it in the last 38 years?
zbnutcase can you tell me why a newer exhaust manifold and shift quadrant is such a bad thing? What would that indicate? No choke is not good though. How would you guys check a motor like this that has been sitting for a couple years, the gas and oil are probably bad.
Thanks again, el toro

kuch4

Recruit

Looks like it has a hose jumpered into the fuel line. Thats a fire waiting to happen.

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey kuch, do you mean the part with the 2 inch rubber extension between the 2 ends of the metal line? Why would that be there?

ChrisCraftJohnny

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How can you guys tell that it's an Automotive intake?

Thanks,

Johnny

kuch4

Recruit

Yup, the line was probably kinked while working on it so that was easier than replacing the whole line.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

because the marine version of the intake typically did not have a pipe plug on the intake runner,the automotive version used it for the power brake and transmission modulator vacum port.
other than that they were the same casting.
another quick way to tell is tell is look at the heads below the exhaust.
if you see a temp sender you know it used to reside in a vehicle.
but USCG regs state that between the fuel pump and carb it has to be solid steel or USCG approved flex line.
that splice is an accident waiting to happen.

Robj

Lieutenant

There are so many decent boats out there, why are you looking at something like this? Even though it may be dirt cheap, in the end once all the repairs are done, it will cost you more that if you would have bought a decent boat to begin with.

Keep looking and you will find a good one.

Have a great day,

Rob.

el toro

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you all for your advice I really appreciate it. I don't want any engine problems so I'll probably just keep searching.