tack issues--not reading a thing

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class
does any one have a wiring scamatic on how a tack is hooked up for 1988 3.0 mercruiser carb motor mine is not reading a thing when it is running and idont know if it is hooked up right or not as i had just bought the boat less then a week ago it appiers that the coil had been changed recently so i want to make sure that it is hooked up right before i replace it with somehting else and thanks again for all your help

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: tack issues--not reading a thing

Look for the factory manual above but generally purple wire from the coil on the positive side. Check also for good ground on the tach itself.

In my book Sender wire for the tach shows a grey wire which is connected to the (-) on the coil.

libellav15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi

use negative post of coil - needs to be that side to get the on/off of the points/ignition to calculate the rpm

+ve of coil is always live

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok i finally made it back to the house where i can check to see what is going on with the wiring on this tack. it has a black wire coming off of the neg side and that is all. it has 2 purple wires one has a white or maybe a yellow stripe on it and a white wire all hooke to the pos side. what wire do i need to move over to the neg side in order to get this tack working again?? and thanks again in advance for all your help

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Don't move any of the existing wires. Somewhere there will be a grey wire that will go to the negative side of the coil. If it is not there you can always simply run one all the way up front.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Here's the coil:

tachwiringcoil.jpg

Here's the tach:

tachwiringtach.jpg

chaparall villain 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds right to me just add a tach wire to the negative side of coil and she should read .. sounds to me like points are connected but not tach

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you so much for that diagram i have her running right now and warming up on muffs after she is warmed up i will move that gray wire over to the neg side and it should work thanks again

alilley

Petty Officer 1st Class

once again the knowledge of the members here on iboats.com have fixed the issue. many many thanks