Sears 9.9 , 1993 Carb. primer bulb?

jumpline2346

Recruit
Hey Everyone, I have a sears 9.9 and I was wondering how the primer bulb on the engine actualy work? Does anyone know. I think mine is not working I took it apart and there was nothing inside it except a plactic ring. Should have more stuff than that i would think, like maybe a check valve or something? Thanks Jumpline2346

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sears 9.9 , 1993 Carb. primer bulb?

A number of companies made motors for Sears A model number will help tell who made yours.

jumpline2346

Recruit

My engine was made by mercury force and it has a tillotson HO 5B304 Carb. Can not find any info on this carb except parts blow ups. The primer bulb is a sears part number 681046 but I have no idea on how this thing should work? If it sends a blast of air into the fuel bowel to inject fuel up the nozzel of the carb . there seems to be vent ports in the carb that will let this preasure out and not do any priming? Am I making any sense? I just don't understand. Can I change out carbs for another brand or type? One that doesnt have a primer bulb. Or can I just plug the primer connection on this carb and prime it using the fuel line bulb ? Thanks for your response. Jumpline2346

jumpline2346

Recruit

Hey its me again, I bought the primer bulb from a mercury dealer, put it in and for some reason it works...Idels like crap but I think that may be an air leak in one of my fuel lines... Choke has to stay out for quit awhile. Good old Sears and Row Back...guess I'm showing my age they haven't been sears and roebeck for a long time. Thanks again, Jumpline