PC questions!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander
ok here is what i got! My computer (that I built a few years ago) is dying! the bios will not remember the settings every time i reset, or if the power just surges. I have replaced the battery. (soyo dragon KT600 dragon ultra platnum) Is the motherboard. It is a AMD based bord and I have the amd athlon 3000+ thats 2.17 GHZ. I got 2 100 GB HDD's that are raid powered and I haave a bit of info on them. I can get the pc to boot up enough to move the files to a "shared" network file on a folder so that my laptop can get them. its schetchy!. Anyways I now have a HP desktop that has a pentium 2.80 MHZ which is faster and it has a 80 gig hdd. Its only 80 gig. Good thing is that the ram is the same PC2700 and now i will have a lot! of ram. Bad thing the HP has no raid! the 80 gig is IDE. I can move over my 2 gig nvidea agp1 vid card over to the hp (agp1) and the sound card (sound blaster autigy2 altura platnum with remote and video recording)to the PCI card so I can use my remote to control my sound but is that a better PC? i was always a PC guy but id really like to use my new hard disks with this new pc! I konw that you can get pci raid cards but whats the best bet for those hdd's with my setup? Thanks!!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: PC questions!

As long as your HP has AGP1, then yes.. PCI to PCI as well..

Your BIOS. You mentioned you replaced the battery.
Have you flashed the BIOS to a newer or older version? Depending on how much the board is worth. BIOS eprom replacements range from 80-150

If you want a server I have one for sale.
I dont think the whole system will sell as a whole so may be willing to seperate components.
http://wausau.craigslist.org/sys/1891286923.html (shameless plug)

SC_HotFoot

Cadet

I would keep the 80gig for just the OS.
Then I would slave the other two for whatever, music,movies,pics, etc.
Newegg has adapters pretty cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ers+and+gender+changers-_-STARTECH-_-12200373

Or, find out whats wrong with the puter you built,
I've never heard of one not "remembering" settings
unless it was the battery, which you already stated
were new. Or maybe, just maybe the eeprom is toast?
Have you tried looking for updated bios flashes from the manufacturer?
Just a thought.
Another idea: Motherboards with that type of architecture/form factor
can be had on the cheap!:)

Good Luck!
Foot

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

im not useing it as a server i just kinda hope to be able to use these hard driver in the HP pc. The hp pc does not have a hook up on the board for a raid or whatever you call the hood up. my soyo board that is the amd has 4 of them. Im in it now but it is only running on a 512 stick. the other the compaq is running on a 512 stick too but i swapped the 2- 2 gig sticks and it can run on 4 gig of the pc 2700. i kinda like that but im not too much of a intel guy. is there a pci card or something i can get to make the HDD's work? when I install the clean windows i see it says "press F4 if you want to install a third party raid driver". that makes me think that there is something you can add maybee pci that you can install these HDD's. not sure. Was win XP pro i was installing when i saw that.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

i have flashed the bios to success and the problem still is there. im not sure whats going on with the hardware! Im a computer science major so im schooled in software mostly but I have built a lot of PC's for people. Anyway its been at least 2 years since so im just wondering what my best option is with the hardware I have!

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

There are RAID controller cards available that should fit a PCI slot...check newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or your favorite computer parts supplier for pricing and such.

Just curious...are you currently running RAID 0 or 1, AKA mirror or striped?

If running mirror type RAID, then you probably already know that each drive is a mirror of the other and you could just take one and plug it into you second IDE slot on your MB of the newer computer (or if only 1 IDE, then use master/slave setup). You will lose the RAID advantage doing this, however.

If striped, then you will need some sort of added RAID controller if you MB does not have onboard RAID capability.

gonefishie

Commander

Just stick them together with a boat tie down :D. I know, lot of helps huh? :)

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi All....

The software and Operating Systems I use all come from Rapidshare. Can't beat the price and sometimes, if you are selective, you can't beat the quality. LOL

Regards,

Steve:eek:

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Hey BeaufortTJustice, what are you talking about with the raid 0 or 1 (mirror or striped?)? I had to use a lower speed in the soyo board when i hooked them up. that board had IDE and the raid also. It did not support the faster raid, not sure i understand all i need to about it maybee you can tell me some about it. and how would I hook up the drives to the IDE port the connector is different. The IDE has a ribbon cable and the raid drives have like a smaller connector. Any help or info about the differences or how i can hook them up without having to buy a card would help a LOT! Thanks!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

can someone explain to me the differences between the raid 0 1 and jbod? anyways here is what Im thinking about getting. it has 2 internal and one external sata ports so that would be perfect! so does that mean i can hook up these drives at the faster speed instead of the slower speed like i did with the old motherboard? thanks a million! here is the card im looking at. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...SP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0500000

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

My understanding of RAID 0 is that same data is distributed to each drive in the RAID array. This is called "mirroring" and is commonly used in server setups to provide redundancy and stability.

RAID 1 setup allows for the RAID controller to split up the data and put some on one drive and some on another, which is where the "striped" term is derived. The data on one drive complements the other. This is commonly used by gamers and others who desire faster read/write times over stability.

Based upon your usage, I would guess that you run a striped setup.

I haven't messed with RAID arrays firsthand, and I may have the definitions reversed.

The HDD's I am familiar with either have IDE or SATA connections...I was not aware of a unique "RAID" connection. RAID controller cards that I am familiar with have one or the other type connections..then again, refer to my above statement...I have not messed with them firsthand.

Hopefully someone with firsthand experience can chime in.

j_martin

Admiral

I've had poor luck with any mobo raid controller. If you mirror, they slow down. If you stripe, you lose it all if a drive crashes. In either case, if the mobo burps, you tend to lose it all.

If I deem it worthwhile to set up raid, I use an adaptec raid controller and set up a 3 disk raid 5. You get the storage of 2 disks, and you can lose any one without data loss, or even time loss as it will serve you your data while it's setting up a new drive into the raid array. It's also faster than a single disk. If more data space is needed, I add more disks to the array. 5 or more disks in a raid 5 array is awesome in both storage and speed.

Best bet on a home system is to use whatever is in the computer for the OS, and software. Mount a usb 500 or 1tb drive for your data. Back it up to another if you're worried about the data.

hope it helps
john

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

maybee my hddl;'s are scsi! how do i tell the connector is i think like a 4 pin connector and not the wide ribbon cable. device mangler describes the driver for the drives as scsi/raid.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

That's not a SCSI (skuzzy) drive; that's a SATA (Serial ATA) drive. Two different beasts and not interchangeable.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

ok its a sata and i still have not figured it out. any help??