Mercruiser Alpha One 5.7 questions... help!

beutler944

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser Alpha One (thunderbolt ignition and power steering) with the 5.7 liter chevy motor in my Crestliner 195 Crusader (late eighties model I think). I just picked up this boat, and when I try and run the boat I know the motor was recently rebuilt, but hasn't been run in a year or two. Anyhow, I got it to start and run, but when I try and push the throttle forward, it stalls out pretty much immediately. It does not seem to hesitate or run rough than stall, just dies. Does anyone know what would cause this? It has been awhile since I've had a boat, and could really use some advice.

A second issue, if anyone might know about this, is the steering. I guess it is hydraulic power steering, but wont turn. I tried to adjust the trim and get it to turn, but still nothing. If we grab the outboard portion of the I/O and try and turn it, it sort of turns the mechanism behind the motor, but not the steering wheel at all. Again, I am pretty lost with this issue, so any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Alpha One 5.7 questions... help!

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,...

I'd guess the runability issue is probably lack of Fuel,...
Fuel filter, tank, the lines, or even, actually, probably the Carb itself...

The steering is probably the cable end siezed in the aluminum tube at the transom,...
If not, the Cable itself....

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... but hasn't been run in a year or two. Anyhow, I got it to start and run, but when I try and push the throttle forward, it stalls out pretty much immediately...

Sounds like a seized lower shift cable....

Click HERE to see an explanation of how it all works...

Chris...........

beutler944

Cadet

Great! Does that mean then that the boat can't go above idle on muffs? If it can, how do I do it?

steveb454

Recruit

I'm a newbie to boats but an ASE certified master tech at a Chevy dealer. Definetly sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Plugged filters, collapsed fuel line, bad fuel pump. You get the idea.

beutler944

Cadet

I changed the fuel filter, and it idles all day long.

Moggy23

Cadet

The squirter pump in the carby has dried out, which is causing the stalling.
The carby will need looking at, for the first check

beutler944

Cadet

Thanks for the info. So, the squirter pump? What is that? Any suggestions on how or what to do with the carb? My budget is VERY low, so anything I can do myself the better.

Bondo

Staff member

Any suggestions on how or what to do with the carb?

Ayuh,... Rebuild it, 'n make sure the kit has an accelerator pump in it...

beutler944

Cadet

Any suggestions on where to get a rebuild kit? I don't even know what carb it has.

Moggy23

Cadet

OK, the accelerator pump is there to add more fuel the moment you accelerate the engine, without it, nearly all engines will stall, backfire or stumble then rev. up.

You could have one of 3 different carbies, I recommend that you use a mechanic to overhaul the carby.

If you get it wrong and end up with a fuel leak, the end result could be a fire in the bilge:eek: