Ruh Roh....

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Ruh Roh....

Bet the next truck is 4 wheel drive!

Wouldn't have helped much. Aparrently it slid all 4 with the brakes on.

Studded tires or tire chains maybe.:D

Actually, there are very few even decent launches in Minnesota. Many are too steep, too shallow, not long enough, into 6 inches of water, and like this one, finished like glass so a little duckweed on it makes ice look like dry pavement.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

had they been loading and it wasn't 6:00 AM, i would have guessed the beers made the ramp 'slippery', but... not the case here. The ramp looks like it has an extremely shallow angle, and might even have some texture to it. I'm surprised if there wasn't slightly more to the story, mechanical failure of some sort maybe. Or he was hitting the gas when he thought he had his foot on the brakes? Happens more than you can imagine!

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah the ramp looks more gradual than any I have ever launched on. Also looks textured...
I'm with smokingcrater...curious.

smittomatic

Cadet

Yeah I can't speak to the quality of this ramp but there are certainly a lot of doosies here in MN. We use one at a county park about 10 minutes north of there and that one is awesome. Plus with a $25 annual pass you can launch all you want for a year!

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where I launch, nice slope and deep enough to where I don't even get my rear tires wet. :) Retreival is just as simple...

I have had my experiences tho with slippery slimy ramps.. Not fun. My worst experience was witnessing a rather large pontoon on the shallow side of the ramp at the Boulder Access on Carlysle Lake in West Central Ill. His rears were on the waters edge while retrieving. Alot of spinning and smoke. Luckily his partner chocked the fronts toi prevent a total splash down!!.

I can only guess they'd had this experience before. Another boater with a truck gave a neighborly tug with a tow strap...

Happy Boating!!!

J