Aluminum Fuel Tank....leak repair

roughshot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After removing my deck, I've found the 29 gal aluminum fuel cell, whic is surrounded by foam.
I don't see any signs of past leaks (based on looking at the foam) but I'm wondering if there is a way or product that I can internally coat it with to ensure I don't have a leak in the future?

Thanks for all the help.

roughshot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Aluminum Fuel Tank....leak repair

Thanks for the link!
That looks way better than a new $400 fuel cell.
Even if I don't have a leak, it looks like good insurance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Make sure and do a thorough cleaning. Boiling Hot soapy water, several hands full of nuts and bolts, shake rattle and roll, more boiling hot soapy water, Acetone, More hot soapy water dry it all out and then apply the leak repair. I used it on my Old Metal Cruise-a-Day Evinrude tanks and it worked like a champ!

Good Luck

I'm Just sayin...:D

Arden142

Recruit

Be careful with sealing from the inside. I had a guy come to my shop with film on the inside of his hot rod fuel cell peeling off and clogging his fuel filter. I had to steam it all out, cut his fuel cell and re-weld it back together. If you want to test for leaks you could try and air it up to about 5PSI and use soap and water mixture. "No bubbles, No Troubles".

By the way I work in an Aluminum tank manufacturing business building petroleum and crude oil tankers

Hope its not to late

jonesg

Admiral

An alum tank will leak from the outside anyway,
and foam touching the alum is a problem that causes crevice corrosion.
Most consumer level pleasure boats install alum tanks incorrectly.

I have to wonder who did the designing, crevice corrosion isn't something new , obscure or unheard of.

Alum tanks should be installed in a specific way, read link.
I bought a new 60 ga alum tank off craigslist for $100, installed it per the surveyors directions and it was very simple compared to other methods using clamps and straps. My old tank corroded and leaked where it was clamped, proved the point to me.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm