Is "Eye Candy" an insult?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Was showing some vacation pics at the office, and one guy (about 36-38 yrs old) says my daughter is "eye candy". She is only 11, we don't let her wear makeup unless a special event, or dress provocatively. Geeze, she is just a little girl.

Was that remark a back handed compliment or just rude? Just struck me as an odd thing to say to an associate in the office.

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Is "Eye Candy" an insult?

That means she's really cute and nice to look at.. thats all :).

I wouldn't worry about it !!!. :)

Darin Jordan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's HIGHLY inappropriate to be making ANY such comments aboat an 11-year old. I don't care how they look.

Whoever made that comment needs to be a little more careful. Just because you may think it, doesn't mean it's OK to say it. Young girls these days are looking and dressing more and more like their adult/legal counterparts. One should be MUCH more careful about how they deal with that.

Just the opinion of a man with a cute 9-year old girl, and with a loaded shotgun and pistol!! :cool:

nlain

Commander

To me that was a slap in the face. When I talk about eye candy I am not talking children. Go to Hooters, plenty of eye candy there, they know they are eye candy and that is all they are allowed to be. Go to the beach, lake, whatever and there is plenty of eye candy. Using the term eye candy usually is referring to a sexually attractive woman not a child. I will quit with that because the explanation would get not family oriented if I continue.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

A young girl being eye candy? That is a sexual slur....

I would check the web to see if that guy is a child molester:mad:

Inappropriate for any observations, especially at work!

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I certainly hope this guy doesn't know the true meaning of the phrase......and if he does.....he should be on the top of the Do Not Invite to Anything list......

Summer Fun

Banned

Why is everything thought of as sexual now a days !!. :confused:

Darin Jordan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why do you assume he knew her age? The OP didn't say that.

Dude... If someone can't tell an 11-yo from an 18-year old, then there are issues... If he knew it was the original poster's daughter, even more so...

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Ummm, disagree. Inappropiate would be passing photos around at work knowing they will be commented on, some positive, some not so positive.

Ok I too do disagree. Depending on where you work and what attorneys are involved in work place violations.

Here is what Wikipedia says about "eye candy"

Eye candy

A common slang term for visually appealing persons or effects used to draw mass attention is eye candy.[2] The implication is that they are eye-catching in a superficial fashion, for example due to adding an element of sexuality. Like actual "candy", this addition is seen to be neither nutritious nor substantial, but rather provides a potentially addictive appeal which will sustain the attention of a wider audience, possibly despite their better nature.

The term may have been originated by interactive videodisc, user interface designers working at INTERAC Corp. in 1983.[citation needed] Their work marked some of the first instances of multiplane visual computing, integrating text, audio, graphics, photographic images, and video into a seamless presentation. The "eye candy" referred to visually appealing images supporting the overall message.

This expression is sometimes used for example to actors/actresses whose visual enjoyment to the audience is perceived as so evident they are alleged as having been cast for this reason, e.g. for their sex appeal. Various novels, articles, and stories have used this slang term to show a physical attraction one person has toward another.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

To me that was a slap in the face. When I talk about eye candy I am not talking children. Go to Hooters, plenty of eye candy there, they know they are eye candy and that is all they are allowed to be. Go to the beach, lake, whatever and there is plenty of eye candy. Using the term eye candy usually is referring to a sexually attractive woman not a child. I will quit with that because the explanation would get not family oriented if I continue.

That is my understanding of the phrase too. Strictly to be applied to adults.

Well, tough to say for a couple reasons. Like it or not, some 11 year olds do not look 11. He may not have realised she was your daughter or her age. And not to be mean but you elected to pass them around in the office which kind of invites all sorts of comments. Is his remark all that different than the old "she's going to be a heartbreaker someday" saying?

Now with that said, I never would have made the remark, but I am not everyone.

Yes, he did know she is my daughter, and in a few other photos it is very obvious that she is a grade school age child.

I do think saying Eye Candy is 100% different than saying "she's going to be a heartbreaker someday". I actually get that comment a lot when she comes into the office. The difference is one comment suggests she will grow up to be a beauty, the other infers she is sexy right now.

robert graham

Admiral

Hopefully just a poor choice of words, and the guy's not some "perv", maybe keep an eye on him....

Summer Fun

Banned

Hopefully just a poor choice of words,
There you go that could of been it !!. We all don't talk the same in word meanings. :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for all the replies. It really is not a big issue, I just thought it was strange. Not going to make an issue of it in the office.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I certainly hope this guy doesn't know the true meaning of the phrase......and if he does.....he should be on the top of the Do Not Invite to Anything list......

There is no "true meaning" to that slang. Whatever meaning it may have is in the speaker and is probably meant as a compliment in the most civil manner.

To be pleasing to look at has connotation only in the mind of the observer. Your outrage says a lot more about your mind than that of the man trying to compliment your lovely child.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

There you go that could of been it !!. We all don't talk the same in word meanings. :D

If this is the case, that we don't talk the same in word meanings.

Then this person needs to be made aware of the comment, and it's implied meaning, and possible ramifications.

Me being a Dad, I do mean ramifications.:cool:
And I do carry 1k just in case.......

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no "true meaning" to that, or any other slang. It means whatever the speaker intends it to mean.

The use of slang is, in itself, a mistake. . . because dirty minded people will read dirty mindedness into it and only clean minded people will be grateful for the compliment.

Outrage says more about the outraged mind than the mind of the person offering a compliment to a lovely child.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Yes, eye candy is very innapropriate, hopefully just a bad choice of words.

(to add as a side note)
You did see today on the news (CNN FOR ME) how younger people are reaching puberty at 7-8 years of age???
Gentleman
mother nature or the additives in our food are making children,
(for no better word) bloom before thier time.
I alway's thought 13 was the time, It was for us in the 1970's. :confused:

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

There is no "true meaning" to that, or any other slang. It means whatever the speaker intends it to mean.

The use of slang is, in itself, a mistake. . . because dirty minded people will read dirty mindedness into it and only clean minded people will be grateful for the compliment.

Outrage says more about the outraged mind than the mind of the person offering a compliment to a lovely child.

It may be that Dirty minded people are dirty minded..... such as the comment by the young man. JB

"If I stand for nothing, then I will fall for everything":eek: