Choke or kill switch does not work on Evinrude E15RCEC

Rahab

Cadet
I just bought a 14' Gregor with a Evinrude E15RCEC 15 hp engine. Took it out several time and it worked great. But the last time took it out the Choke does not work- the slider mechanism engages but it does not engage in the carb? Thinking it does not work since its a very hard start with the choke engaged and pulling the choke does not stop then engine.

Also the red kill switch does not work, do not have a manual.

Any help or comments out there?

Rick.

Captain
Re: Choke or kill switch does not work on Evinrude E15RCEC

The choke is probably put together wrong or you have missing parts. Have a look at this parts diagram and see if yours is right.
http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Public/BRP_Public_Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/Index.aspx

Not sure about the kill switch. It could be a broken wire or dirty contacts right at the switch. A manual will be your best friend if you get one. Best of luck. Rick.

AlTn

Commander

you have a 1989 model in order to look up the diagrams...if the choke was killing the engine you've prolly just had the arm to the choke plate slip off the slide pull...you have a lanyard type kill switch...will it kill the engine when you pull the lanyard out?..it should

Rahab

Cadet

Thanks for the comeback Rick and AlTn.

Can you point me to a manual, what i see online is just the generic 1972-1989? is that what is should expect?

Also the choke does move in and out and engages, but seems to be doing what it should in the carb. I will check out the parts diagram- much appreciated Rick. I also will run a carb/choke cleaner to see if that helps.

As far as the kill switch, its a button at the end of the steering column, it does not engage, might need a new part?

Any more assistance would be helpful and appreciated.

Rahab

Cadet

Rick, also looks like I am missing the lanyard. Will try to get that as well. Does anyone know what the restart clip does?

So to stop the engine you put the lanyard assembly in?

Rick.

Captain

No, the lanyard needs to be in to START the engine. When you fall overboard and the lanyard is clipped to you the engine will stop when it pops off. If your starting yours without the lanyard in place your switch is buggered. I believe the restart clip is the same end as the lanyard but the restart has no lanyard attached. So far I've bought all my manuals on Ebay. Get the OMC paper one for your specific year and model although you can get Evinrude or Johnson as they a virtually identical except for paint and decals. Rick.

Rahab

Cadet

Rick thanks to you I found out the issue with the Choke.

The choke override spring came undone. Not sure how to hook that back up so i just used a zip tie, which seems to work, will test.

Apparently someone might have disabled the kill button, do you know where it terminates on the engine- does it cut gas?

Thanks Rick again.

Rick.

Captain

I kills the spark. You should be able to trace the wires, one to ground and the other disappears under the flywheel and (I'm going from memory here) to the coils. You might want to ask bktheking if having zip ties in the cowling is a good idea. LOL. I'm sure it will suffice as a temporary measure (less than 20 years duration). So it sounds like your on the road to recovery which is what this precious forum is all about. Rick.

Rahab

Cadet

One more thing Rick, I see the OMC parts manual for my outboard, but is that what you are describing or is it the actual owners manual?

Rahab

Cadet

Right, thanks for that.

What do you think about the Seloc or Clymer generic manuals?

Rick.

Captain

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=428351

Funny you should ask. There is an interesting thread right now on that subject. I have to say I'm really surprised how many positive comments are being made about the Clymer and Sealoc manuals. For my money it's nothing but OMC but others do see some value in them. Rick.