Compression 59 sea king

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Compression 59 sea king

Are you testing that with the electric starter, or rope? If using the recoil, you need to disable the compression relief by taking the two screws out of the stainless steel bar. Compression should be over 100 with relief disabled or electric start.

ozarkt165

Seaman

That is while cranking w starter. Using a press on gauge, need to find my thread on gauge and recheck. Probably explains why it smokes so bad and has alot of oil/carbon in water bucket. Probably time to search for a late model 40 horse

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I'm really surprised it even runs with only 55psi compression.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is while cranking w starter. Using a press on gauge, need to find my thread on gauge and recheck. Probably explains why it smokes so bad and has alot of oil/carbon in water bucket. Probably time to search for a late model 40 horse

I'm in the same camp with F R. I don't think it would start and run at 55 PSI. Find your gauge or borrow one (auto parts stores often have 'loaners') and get an accurate reading so you'll KNOW where you're at rather than guessing.

And if that press-on gauge is heavy enough for a trotline weight that's a better job for it.;)