New Member-Rod Holder Options

ConnBoater

Recruit
Hello everyone. Thank you so much for all of the help you have given me with your posts over the years. I have decided to no longer be a voyeur and possibly contribute to the site.

Here is my story (it may sound familiar)

Had a fishing boat-got married-had a family-sold the fishing boat-bought a family boat-want to make my boat more fishable.

I have a 2000 Four Winns 235 Sundowner. I have added a removable rod holder to each gunwale. I need to add more. I don't have any obvious spots to do this. The factory rod holder option is mounted on the swim platform, it is big $.

I have looked at other options from Tite Lok and Driftmaster. Anyone had any experience with these? Should I consider flush mounting individual holders in the swim platform?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks Again

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Member-Rod Holder Options

What are you fishing for? I would be concerned if it was for anything large. It doesn't look like you'd be going into much "meat" in the glass with either of those systems.

I was considering swapping the cockpit table mount on my Cobalt 293 for something that would accept a post mounted spreader of rod holders...like you see on a big sportfish from time to time when they don't have a fighting chair. Even with that I am a little concerned.

I was on a buddy's boat a couple years ago and had a 40" rockfish destroy a clamp on rod holder on the bow rail. It was the kind with the nylon bracket. To say it exploded would be an understatement. I was driving the boat and grabbed the rod as it shot past me. Thought it was hung up on the bottom. Imagine my surprise!:D

ConnBoater

Recruit
Re: New Member-Rod Holder Options

Nice grab dsiek! I hope your buddy let you land it.

I share your concerns about the fiberglass integrity. I fish in Long Island Sound mostly for Stripers, Blue fish and Fluke. The Stripers can get into the 40" plus size, and the Blues strike very hard.

My gunwale surface mount holders are all stainless. I backed the mounting brackets with starboard and through bolted them. I still am very carefull about the drag settings of the rods in them , and I never use them for trolling. I wouldn't consider plastics.

I wanted to fully recess the holders, but the ductwork for the air intake is located under the gunwale.

Maybe I should just buy my Mako back.