Mercury 75

GSiwy

Recruit
I have an old Mercury 75, 7.5 horse power ,and I need to replace the points. Does anyone know the point gap on this motor? Also, does anyone know if there is a database to get the manufacture date by serial number?
Thanks in advance.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 75

I have an old Mercury 75, 7.5 horse power ,and I need to replace the points. Does anyone know the point gap on this motor? Also, does anyone know if there is a database to get the manufacture date by serial number?
Thanks in advance.

Look at the sticky at the top of this section to get year info.

cadro68

Cadet

My 15 has points but I haven't used it in decades and have no service information.

Try oldmercs.com which defaults to eastcoastmarineservice.com .They have parts etc. for the old ones.

GSiwy

Recruit

Well, I got the points installed and gapped. Now I'm looking for a Phaser tool to sync the points. Anyone know where I may be able to get one?

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I got the points installed and gapped. Now I'm looking for a Phaser tool to sync the points. Anyone know where I may be able to get one?
I am interested to know this as well. Do you have the Thunderbolt ignition?
In my evinrude manual they show something like that, but it also says you can just gap the points and leave them.

GSiwy

Recruit

Yes, it does have the ThunderBolt ignition. My manual also says you can gap them and use it that way UNTIL you can sync the points with the phasing tool. I'm thinking I may make my own. I just need to get my hands on a drill press to ensure the holes I drill are straight and line up with each other.

bob1340

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it does have the ThunderBolt ignition. My manual also says you can gap them and use it that way UNTIL you can sync the points with the phasing tool. I'm thinking I may make my own. I just need to get my hands on a drill press to ensure the holes I drill are straight and line up with each other.

What manual do you have? I need to get one.

GSiwy

Recruit

It's the Clymer Outboard shop manual 3.9 - 135 HP, 1964 to 1971. I got it from the library and copied the pages I needed.