Oil Sheen in the water... normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rauch0812

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is our first year with our new to us boat, so I'm still trying to learn what's normal and what's not. Yesterday was the first time I've ever been right at the back of the boat when we cut the engine (changing tubers) when I noticed a slight oil sheen around the outdrive. It disapated in less then a minute, so I don't know if it's always done that or not. We pulled the boat from the water and everything looks good. Fluids are full, nothing is "milky" looking, and we don't see any fluids leaking. Of course we'll check under the boat again when we go back next time and make sure nothing "puddled" on the ground. We've been out almost every weekend this summer and the only fluid we've had to add was drive oil because the reservior was low, but we figured we've really been using the heck out of the boat, so we didn't think twice about it. Now, just for the record I'm the paranoid wife who always thinks there is something wrong with the boat, even though it's been great to us so far (knocking on wood, sure I jinxed us)...

Should we be concerned? Could this be normal?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oil Sheen in the water... normal?

Ayuh,.... While it's possible your seeing the sheen from unburnt gas, the drive should never need Refilling, except when serviced...

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a leaking trim cylinder if you're having to refill the reservoir.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Desera,
That sheen usually comes from one of five sources:

(1) Un-burnt fuel in the exhaust.
(2) Gear oil leaking from the outdrive.
(3) Motor oil from worn engine components.
(4) Hydraulic oil from the trim system.
(5) Petroleum residue from bilge water.

Per your description, I am suspecting a leak in the outdrive as this is the system requiring topping the fluid.
Have the unit pressure tested and corrective action taken.

ziggy

Admiral

Per your description, I am suspecting a leak in the outdrive as this is the system requiring topping the fluid.
Have the unit pressure tested and corrective action taken.
that's where i'd be at too. the drive is a sealed unit that isn't supposed to use any fluid. if it is, it must be escaping from some where..

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If your drive is low its because you have a leak or it wan't filled to the max when changed. If the level stays the same after checking it a couple of more times after use its probably the latter.

All the answers to this post were very good - esp eddiepetty

I get a gas sheen from my middle engine just from stepping on the boat (like today), and it comes from the exhaust - as the prop from my middle engine sinks just barely into water.

Difference between gas sheen and oil sheen is there will be some brown color with the oil sheen.

I have a tilt that leaks a little, and it throws red tranny fluid when the tilt is turned on.

Common stuff with outboards.

Three
Yamaha F225s at 50MPH https://vimeo.com/268705607#

Attachments

• photo305821.jpg
    photo305821.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 0

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sorry, this thread is 8 years old. Please read the forum rules regarding old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.