Help! 1975 9.9hp johnson outboard lower end issues

Peter48

Recruit
I have a1975 9.9hp johnson outboard.
Motor starts and idles and runs fine in neutral and reverse but when you put in forward gear at approx 5mph it will rev and the boat will lose thrust like the prop stopped spinning. When I back off the throttle the prop reingauges. Is it the shift lever linkage that needs adjustment? or what? Let me know.
Thanks Peter

Rick.

Captain
Re: Help! 1975 9.9hp johnson outboard lower end issues

Do you here any banging sort of noise when it happens? If you do it's your clutch dog and it will be worn out or as you suspect your shift linkage length may need adjusting. Even more likely what you have is a spun prop. The rubber mount between the prop center and outer pieces is slipping. You might be able to turn the prop by hand and see if it slips or you can remove it and with a permanent marker you can draw a line straight across through the center. Put it back on and the next time you have the symptom remove the prop and see if the lines still match or not. Best of luck. Rick.

Peter48

Recruit

No banging noise and the shift lever doesn't move to neutral or anything. I will check the prop.

Peter48

Recruit

Do you here any banging sort of noise when it happens? If you do it's your clutch dog and it will be worn out or as you suspect your shift linkage length may need adjusting. Even more likely what you have is a spun prop. The rubber mount between the prop center and outer pieces is slipping. You might be able to turn the prop by hand and see if it slips or you can remove it and with a permanent marker you can draw a line straight across through the center. Put it back on and the next time you have the symptom remove the prop and see if the lines still match or not. Best of luck. Rick.

It was the prop. Thanks for your help!!!!