Gas Tank Overflow Problem?

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
re: 1987 Sea Ray Seville 18' Bowrider w/Mercruiser 3.0L Alpha One Outdrive

This is my first boat and so far it's been a good purchase. I have a question about gas running out of the overflow when filling. Is this normal? It happens every time. The gas station attendant at the marina is telling me I have a problem as he doesn't see this happen with other boats. What's the problem?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas Tank Overflow Problem?

Howdy,

Is it doing this when the tank is empty? or are you just trying to get as much fuel in as possible when it fills up?

tupperj

Seaman Apprentice

Searay87,

Have the same boat, well a year older. Mine does the same thing. Attendant at the last marina suggested I might have a spider web in the vent. I've already replaced the vent hose. Haven't had a chance to take the vent off and check it yet.

It is a fun little boat, hope you're having as much fun with yours as we are with ours!

Paul

fyrfightr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Every boat I have owned has required me to listen to the vent while filling. 1st little sound of a gurgle, shut off quickly or gas splashes out of vent.

They sell a vent whistle that is added inline between the tank and vent on the hull. I put one in this year and is very nice. The pitch of the whistle changes as it is filled and stops when fuel hits it, I have it as close to the tank as possible to give me more time to stop it. Haven't spilled a drop since.

Similar to a oil tank vent on a home that heats with oil.

http://www.greenboatstuff.com/grmafuwh.html

Attachments

• vent.gif
    vent.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 0

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a little trick that I found when fueling which helps prevent fuel spills. This will only work on fuel fills which have a separate fuel vent. (Some of the newer fuel fills have the vent incorporated into the fill istelf, and thus won't work on the newer fills)

Place your hand over the fuel vent when you are fueling. As fuel enters the tank, air will exit the fuel vent. When the tank is full, air will stop flowing from the vent. Immediately stop fueling, as the tank is full. If you continue fueling, expect gas to kick back out of the fuel fill and/or fuel vent.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the replies. Sounds like what I have is indeed normal. The first time I filled it was on the trailer and gas gushed out all over the back and onto the ground. I've since learned to put my finger under the vent and listen for the change in pitch. I've got it now to the point where I don't overfill. My guess is the marina attendant is unfamiliar with this design possibly becasue I have one of the oldest boats there?

To Paul: Yes indeed we are loving our 87 Sea Ray Seville and our 3 teenage boys and their friends enjoy tubing.

Now if I could just figure out why my alternator belt slips after only 4 hours of run time!:confused:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yes, its normal to get a little gas out the vent when filling. I almost always fill at a gas station, not on the water at a marina. So the little spill is not an issue. If you are worried about the small amount of overflow, hold a rag over the vent while filling.

nlain

Commander

My 87 17 Seville would do the same thing, the vent is on the transom just above the little swim platform that is bolted on, it is lower that the top of the fill tube also, when gas backs up in the fill tube it pushes out the vent, you have to be real careful when filling.