Help with an Eska

EddieRod

Cadet
My wife picked me up an Eska at a yard sale for 50 bucks. Its a 5.5 hp.
# T643-20B and 4539582 Its missing the 2 knobs in te fron when the choke and rice/lean are and have been replaced by 2 screws, but the work for now.
We brought it up to camp and a little screwing around it fired up. What can anyone tell me about this, year etc. Someone also put a 1/4" threaed bolt and wingnut where the till? is anddid some damage to the shaft but to be not to bad, and what should I use instead? Putting some pics on to help.
Thanks to all that can help...EddieRod
100_1846.jpg

100_1844.jpg

100_1843.jpg

100_1842.jpg

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help with an Eska

<My wife picked me up an Eska at a yard sale for 50 bucks. Its a 5.5 hp.
# T643-20B and 4539582>

Those #s obviously came from the tecumseh engine type tag on the crankcase. The model # should be on a data plate riveted onto the sheet metal between the transom clamps.

That said it uses the same 6.05 CID Tecumseh AV-600 engine as my 1975 Eska Model # 1975A so it should be the same outboard motor. Mine is the 2nd ugliest outboard in captivity, (#1 being the '47 Champion I drug home a couple of weeks ago!:eek:) but after a little TLC it cranks, runs and idles like gangbusters! I just need a good L/U to get mine back in service.

<Its missing the 2 knobs in te fron when the choke and rice/lean are and have been replaced by 2 screws, but the work for now.>

I have very successfully used small black radio/TV knobs with set-screws from the rack at Radio Shack on several old outboards. Sometime I have to get a bit creative to make them fit the needle. (bore out or sleeve as needed)

<We brought it up to camp and a little screwing around it fired up. What can anyone tell me about this, year etc.>

I can tell you that if the waterpump isn't working as it should that you'll soon burn up the motor. If it is the same motor as mine it can use the impeller from a 9.8 hp Mercury if you specify the one with the 7/16" hole in it rather than the earlier model.

<Someone also put a 1/4" threaed bolt and wingnut where the till? is anddid some damage to the shaft but to be not to bad, and what should I use instead?>

Er----how 'bout the right part? Pull up the Certified Parts website at
<http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com/> and CALL them! They are the owners of the remains of both Eska & Tecumseh so they are the primary source for parts for both. You can't find anything on the website but the people who take parts orders are very helpful. But don't call until you find the right model #! Without that they can't help you at all!

In the meantime IF your waterpump is working just straighten out that piece of all-thread and slip a smooth piece of metal tubing (or even rubber fuel line) over it to prevent further damage until you get the right part.

EddieRod

Cadet
Re: Help with an Eska

EXCELLENT!!!! TY for the certifiedparts link and ideas. I deff. need to get the right part where the damage is.. I was thinking about the same thing where that piece of all thread is but even better with the tubing Thanks.
This is an ugly motor, beats my other 3..hands down.. I took it for a spin and the water pump is working that was the 1st thing I checked, It has a horrible screw to keep the top of the motor on. It wasn't long before I was stopping to just take it off after rattling loose.
Still needs some TLC but its coming along, I neve thought it would be so loud but gets from point A-B so for 50 bucks and from my wife who I never thought would even spend 50 on it, Its now part of the collection. So thanks again , going to look for knobs, a 3/8 bolt instead,a call to cert.partscorp. after I get the right model #.