Surprise! 1973 Starcraft SS Owner

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did it! Made the jump today and bought into the Starcraft family! Picked up a 16' 1973 Starcraft SS w/ 65 HP Spirit outboard. The motor doesn't start ( although, if you shoot some gas into carb it will run and die. It's pea green ( currently...will be changing!) and white. I think in good condition! Pics coming soon!

Attachments

• 0182c.jpg
    0182c.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Stratosman86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Surprise! 1973 Starcraft SS Owner

Congrats!

Now get them pics posted before the natives get restless. :D

Darren

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! Looks like a super rig you found there! Nice work man:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Welcome Chuck, nice boat. Looks like the 'lil brother to mine (if I ever get it home). Make sure you clean the fuel lines real good before you run it, and of coarse the impeller. Can we get more pics?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Congrats! Now lets get some pics we can actually see. Especially of that outboard as I haven't heard of it.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Surprise! 1973 Starcraft SS Owner PICS

Re: Surprise! 1973 Starcraft SS Owner PICS

PICS!

Chuckndiscs

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice boat. is that a death ray just outboard of the starboard windshield, or what?

Daltonxj

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice find....

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do I mention I only paid $400.00....? Well I did :eek:

Thanks you all! Floor is soft but otherwise its in good shape. Still likely going to paint it, rebuild the floor, and perhaps redo some other pieces. Just got to get that motor running (or drop on my 1969 100 HP Merc ;)). From what I am reading seems like a fuel delivery problem... starts with gas in carb and wont stay running. Everything is still a potential (bad gas, fuel line leak no delivery pressure, and then carb plugged).

FYI - Spirit = Suzuki. This is a 1965.

ChuckNDiscs

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

has anyone ever replaced the rear cover with the holes in it? I would like to do that to my 16.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

$400 eh! Awesome! She looks great! Nice job man:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Very nice looking boat. I didn't know Suzuki made OB in 65, go figure. I see the canvas top laying in the floor, have you set that up to check condition? You know we need pics of that too:p All the trim looks nice & shiney too! You got a heck of a deal.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great! A Suzuki, that explains it. You got a heck of a deal.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

So initial questions before I begin the resto (although I may wait until the snow flies up here in the north if I can get that Suzuki started):

1. Think a black base coat boat is worth a try?
- I have always liked black boats but not sure how hard it would be to paint it and have it come out (realizing that dark colors are harder to get to cover) looking good. Thinking of imitating the look of my 100HP merc (Black and red/burgundy something or other). Otherwise Ill pursue the off white bottom and red stripe.

2. Whats really my chances of successfully dropping my 69 100HP Mercury on this boat?
-Understand the transom is strong enough to hold it (it is real solid) or is it? I know I will be over powered but from reading here about older OBs HP being higher than todays OBs (see my '69 100HP probably equates to 85 or 90 HP in todays motors) is it possible? I also am aware that the pure weight of that 100HP Merc might outweigh the advantages of putting it on the boat. Meaning if I had an 75,80, 05 85 HP I might go just as fast as having the 100HP on it due to weight...

3. Can you paint the boat without flipping it or is that just plain foolish? I might not have the room to flip but then realize I will have to do some different methods of getting the boat off the trailer to paint the parts where it sits on the trailer.... I might just have to wait until next spring.

Thanks!

Chuckndiscs

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

2. Whats really my chances of successfully dropping my 69 100HP Mercury on this boat?
-Understand the transom is strong enough to hold it (it is real solid) or is it? I know I will be over powered but from reading here about older OBs HP being higher than todays OBs (see my '69 100HP probably equates to 85 or 90 HP in todays motors) is it possible? I also am aware that the pure weight of that 100HP Merc might outweigh the advantages of putting it on the boat. Meaning if I had an 75,80, 05 85 HP I might go just as fast as having the 100HP on it due to weight...

I never understand this rationalization. What standard do you think they used when they rated the boat back then??

My personal experience with a 16' Starcraft with the max rated HP on the back of it was the weight did not make up for the HP gain. In my case 85 was the smallest HP V4 outboard which was heavier than the largest HP triple. In my opinion, the ideal motor for a 16' aluminum Starcraft is a 3 cylinder 70-75. One of those newer Yamaha 3 cylinder 90's would also be pretty sweet. I do not know the weight of your 100HP Merc. It may be fairly light. All this being said, I do not think there is any reason not hang it and give it a try if you have a solid transom.

chuckndiscs

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never understand this rationalization. What standard do you think they used when they rated the boat back then??

True that statement!

My boat is a 73, I am not even sure when they made the change in HP rating change but I should probably just go with "boat is old and motor is old therefore HP rating is what it is".

Thanks for making that point, it is a good one!

Chuckndiscs

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey....you are almost next door....I'm in Woodbury with my 1971 Starcraft
16' supersport,,like to get together sometime ...compare notes/projects
hmmm I see you have the same windshield I do...I thought they changed
that in 1973 to having the third windshield/door....:confused:
Looks like you have a great project:D
I also added red LED lights to the interior of the boat...hard to show in pics

Attachments

• MY BOAT LOOKING AT SIDE A RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT LOOKING AT SIDE A RESIZED.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT 6 13 09 A RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 A RESIZED.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    MY BOAT 6 13 09 J RESIZED.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR G RESIZED.jpg
    MY BOAT JOHNSON TROLLING MOTOR G RESIZED.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0

fshngho

Lieutenant

The windshield on mine is the same as SC and Chuck too. At least I'm narrowing down the year. Chuck, paint color is your choice but remember the darker colors attract sunshine= HEAT. If you are going to do a resto, ie. floor replacement, then thats the time to flip it.. when its an empty hull. I flipped my 18 footer by myself, but its easier with a couple friends. As far as the motor I had a 65 Suzuki and loved it. From what I've read from EZ and others a 85 is all you want on a 16' boat. I honestly think of fuel consumption, the bigger the motor the more you pay at the pump. Don't forget safety. High speed in a light boat = trouble. Just not worth it. Check out the 65, I think you will like it if it runs ok. Just my 2 cents.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice Boat!! $400 is a GREAT deal....

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig, what a deal:D It's actually avocado green, and I like it(MSU alum here).

I'm actually leaning towards swapping my 80hp Merc for a 70hp 3cyl Johnnyrude when I get a chance.:)