Original or Extra Crispy?

What is the general concensus about "restoring", when it comes to boats? Stay true to the definition, RESTORE, restore with some "Flare" or "Make it your own"? Just curious, I am still debating what to do with my 62 Starcraft. Have at it guys (gals) tell us what you think? Thanks, Bill

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Original or Extra Crispy?

I don't care at all about what it originally looked like, I modify and rebuild to fit my needs. I don't even replace or keep the original decals, logos or any other markings on the boat.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'm definitely "making it my own", as determined by time, budget and needs. I call it loosley a restoration, but it's really a renovation. All I'm ending up using is the shell (hull).

bananaboater

Ensign

For me I wanted to keep it as close to possible to original/as I got it and within reason regarding $. I am not a fisherman so the pleasure craft aspect of my Jet was perfect.

For example I did not repaint and someone had changed the color from original fire engine red to a wine red. The paint on a 1-10 scale is probably an 8. I did not go to the trouble to fabricate original seats, went with off the shelf Wise models. The PBO had installed a Teleflex steering.

I think the test might be how rare is the boat and to modify it would that hurt the history of the line. A comparison might be to look it as a classic car. Customizing a '57 chevy no problem but a Duesenberg, probably not.

IMHO

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Extra crispy here... I'm one of a kind, figure my boat should be as well LOL
I think 'restoration' should include 'salvaging' ;)

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as interior lay out goes I am sticking to original. As far as color and material I am changing it up. Still going with vinyl on seats but changing the color. Removing some if not all pin stripping. And using just a titch of diamond plate.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I guess it would depend on the boat.

If someone takes a generic runabout and makes it easier to fish off of, then fine. However, turning a true classic into a bass beast is bordering on sacrilege. Once saw someone who had turned a 17-foot Hydrostream into a fishing boat - cut open the bow and bolted in an astro-turf platform up there and a matching one across the rear gunwales. I just about cried when I saw it... Saw a similar hack-job on an old Feathercraft, too. I would think there's enough junker generics out there to keep the ones that are actually worth restoring from getting the chain-saw treatment... But to each their own, I guess...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That's what is cool about it being yours!

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am actually on this fence with this one. I guess I am somewhere in-between. For instance my newest project is a slice of Americana, I will keep it original as possible, but I want to hang a new 4-stroke Honda on the back of it. It's kind of a conflict of interest, but I know the reliability on the Honda's and a well-built restoration will give me years of trouble free enjoyment.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm a purist! Orignal all the Way!!!! I MIGHT be persuaded to change the color but even then I would want to investigate all the factory color options and try to stay as close to them as possible. As long as I can stay safe I like to keep it as it was.

Of course I am of the elderly persuasion, pushin 60 doncha know....:rolleyes:

I'm just sayin...:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im with Wood on this one..

Yes you have to use modern resin/glass/gel.. but the whole thing about a rustic boat is to modernizie...but keep it the same way as the origional builder had it in his " head/dream " .

yea.. I would stick as close to the boat as possible .. If you can and its safe .

YD.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If a "factory-fresh restoration" will make it worth more than you paid, do that.

Otherwise, hack it up, baby!

(Same thing goes with cars, IMO)

Comoxsam

Seaman Apprentice

There are a million crappy old boats out there you could customize.

If you have something even remotely "classic" then you should respect that and try to keep it as original as possible.

If you can't do that then maybe find someone who loves these old boats and sell it. Then take the money and go find yourself something you can hack up.

Save the classics or they're gone forever.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

But to each their own, I guess...
A good philosophy, but sometimes a hard one to follow. I know I have to calm myself down sometimes when I see a beauty of a classic hacked up. But, it's not mine, so...

There are a million crappy old boats out there you could customize.

If you have something even remotely "classic" then you should respect that and try to keep it as original as possible.

I thought I would be using more of mine as original at first, but once I got into it, I saw that I could reuse practically nothing and still have it be safe/reliable/decent looking; the PO had made so may half-*** modifications and "repairs" that almost everything had to go. I am using the original bow & stern lights in spite of the pitted chrome. Just too beautiful to replace!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, the rig I'm working on will definitely be a custom deal. Much different than the way it came from the factory (hopefully better). I like thinking things through. planning, and customizing the boat just the way I want it.

I'd really enjoy taking a classic boat and restoring it to original, just not this one though.

Cool!

thatguy

Seaman

I fully believe in the make it you own theory. The real secret is to make it your own with having it desired my the "next owner" That is what I trying to do with my pursuit. I trying to add to make a modern feel to a 18 year old boat, at the same time as making it "my" boat

Tom