470 or 430 soft bottom inflatable?

MEK

Seaman Apprentice
Last minute bit of indecision on my part. 14 foot verses 15.5, both have 6'8 beam. 1.5 foot difference interior length. The 430 weighs 215lbs rated for 35hp vs 250lbs and 40hp for the 470. Both are the cheaper Chinese models. I have a 30hp Suzuki 2 stroke SS to power the boat. Mainly I will be carrying myself and 2 kids and fuel, roughly 5-600lbs, sometimes my wife.... Strictly lakes, also the 14 lines up nicer on my flatdeck trailer.

My questions.

Will I see a performance difference between the two lengths? Does the extra length make up for the extra weight?

Would a family of 4 be comfortable in a 14 or should I go larger? (trying to judge from pictures on the internet).

I realize everyone wants the smallest boat on the trailer and the largest on the lake but I also want something easy to handle when out by myself.

Luvinflatableboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 470 or 430 soft bottom inflatable?

Hi,

With regard to inflatable boats bigger is better and this is not just guy talk.

The length makes up the extra weight because there is more material and flooring etc.

The increase in handling and stability will also be noticeable on the larger model.

My vote is with the larger boat.

Darryl

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

40 cm is no big lenght performer difference, 430 is already large, perfect clearance for a family of 4 to match a 30 HP engine and lake use, personally would go for the shorter one if not planning in a near future to count with a bigger engine and more mates on board. The bigger, the larger, the heavier and probably few mates to help you out with in/out water issues. This is a 420 Mt sib, have a real idea so to take the nail out.

Happy Sibbing

Attachments

• SRA-420-4.JPG
    SRA-420-4.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would vote for the bigger boat. What seems like plenty of room on land suddenly becomes very cramped on the water (what's up with that!?)

I have a 15' Avon and typically there are two guys diving out of it -- we have to be careful about keeping gear organized to maximize the space.

Just my 2 cents.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Some issues to consider going for a 4.30 Mt sib

He doesn't dive, so maximizing space & lots of gear is not an issue, lake use, family of 4, can include the house dog as well, sib fits nicer and engine can live on his flat bed trailer, already has a 30 HP engine, weights less, less time inflating if he will need to inflate/deflate often. Best option, go to any store and see both sizes inflated and decide, can include a bow bag to store more issues if needed. The final decision is all yours.

Note: Being both sibs same width, the larger one will not give more stability, sorry, it's all related to width, not length.

Happy Boating

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

30hp is really only enough power for the 4.3m

If you are sticking with that motor, I'd recommend the smaller boat

I have a 4.3 and a 30 Yamaha- perfect match imho

oct8aquamarine002b.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

30hp is really only enough power for the 4.3m

If you are sticking with that motor, I'd recommend the smaller boat

I have a 4.3 and a 30 Yamaha- perfect match imho

An experienced boater that has this same configuration has spoken wisely, up to now, the controversy is tight 2-2, who else would like to make MEK a tech recommendation based on phsical not theoretical issues ?

Happy Boating

MEK

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the responses, it all came down to what fits best on the trailer and what I can lift weight wise to drag up the beach. The 430 won out (with your advice of course). I already have a Walker bay 340 air floor that I plan on keeping for the small lakes, drifting down the rivers and packing on my quad. I wanted to go large on the second boat but the extra 1 1/2 feet would make my transom unsupported (heavy motor) and turning tight difficult when trailering inflated. Also any steep ditches the bow would contact the vehicle. This will be SIB #6 for me. Started with a Avon 550 sport boat that was huge (and old), followed by an old air floor Metzler (many patches), an Achilles conquest (new), Quick silver 12.5 the Walker bay (new) and now this one. I was sure tempted by a deal on Titan RIB while looking this time but I can buy the larger boat and keep the Walker bay for less than the cost of the Titan. Picking the boat up on Thursday hopefully. Need to research props and get some printers ink for the numbers.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Wise decision, post some nice pics when you have the beast and engine on trailer. With that sib size and engine will have lots of water fun.

Happy Boating