1973 135 powershift two eating water pumps

fishtricker

Seaman
i just replaced almost every part of my cooling system all but the rubber deflectors was great for a little while then stoped pumping again opened up the lower unit and my brand new water pump and impeller are fried why? wasent ran outta water what makes a outboard eat water pumps

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 135 powershift two eating water pumps

Usually running dry. So the question is why was it running dry?

fishtricker

Seaman

i just dont know how that could happen it was in the lake i dont get it musta happened to the last owner too water pump was shot whene i got it over rev perhaps? drivin me crazy wrong prop? bad pump manufactureing

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did the intake get plugged up with weeds or muck?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Pull the pump out of the lower. Check for an obstruction in the cavity beneath the pump all the way down the the intake screen.

fishtricker

Seaman

no weeds or muck or obstruction could it be exaust pushing the water out of the pump or is that crazy

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

did you replace the pump housing?

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Old stock impellers maybe? Are you getting them all from the same place?

I'll sit back and learn :D .... let us know what it is when you figure it out.

fishtricker

Seaman

mabey an old stock impeller yes i replaced the pump houseing the impeller thermostat relife valve the wear plates everything

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

An exhaust leak might overheat the water pump housing and damage the impeller. Check the exhaust tube itself and also make sure the bottom exhaust seal is in place when you fit the lower up to the midsection.

fishtricker

Seaman

the exhaust gasket in the lower unit was shot mangeled really gotta be the problem gonna give it a try in the lake and let you know how it goes thanks for all the great help through my ordeals espically to emdsapmgr and ezek walkin me through the lower unit knowldege is power and you fellas are very powerful

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Is it OEM kit you are getting or aftermarket?

While the lu is down, be sure to flush the cooling circuit BEFORE you put it back together. A previous chunk of impeller may be floating around in there and you want to ensure that when you do get the water pump functioning, an old piece of rubber is not going to cause you further grief. Compressed air or the garden hose will work for this. Flush and backflush, and ensure free flow both ways. As mentioned, make sure that intake area is free of debris as well.

well i cant seem to get back into fishtricker my old username but for those who are in searches the problem was that the yokels who had the boat before me reinforcedthe transom and put the motor far to high fried that motor so always check the height of you motor mine was about 7 inches too high put a 73 115 on and moved the reinforceing plates down and solved that proplem