thru hull exuast kits

ollie947

Cadet
anyone know a website that shows howto do this.. and sells the parts cheap. all i can think of is needed new risers.

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: thru hull exuast kits

For what?
Lots of sites sell them, not usually in kits. Usually just a couple caps, hoses, clamps, and thru-hulls.

ollie947

Cadet

78 mark twain 327 with alpha one drive. just wanted it abit louder lol. just seems most of the Kits use both the prop exuast and the hull, where you can chose what one to run with a switch. more or less i was lookin to see what it would take to build my own, but without messurements its a shot in the dark.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a DIY project that a guy put together.

album_picphp.jpg

album_picphp1.jpg
Code:

NHGuy

Captain

Yup, I'd like to do that myself, one of these years.
Ain't too many quiet Bajas around here. My excuse is, it was built that way.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: thru hull exhuast kits

Re: thru hull exhuast kits

I have a similar "Y" from my headers to the prop and thru hull pipes. I added a butterfly valve in the thru hull pipe, put a short arm on the end of the shaft, connected to a 3/4 x 1?" pneumatic cylinder.

I take vacuum from the intake manifold to a 5" plastic storage ball with a built in check valve, then to a 3 position toggle switch style pneumatic valve on the dash. With 2- 1/8" hoses from switch to cylinders, I have quiet/performance at the flick of the toggle.

Keep in mind, thru hulls will not give any noticeable gain in power. The vacuum created by a prop at speed makes up for any restrictive losses in the stock piping.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

78 mark twain 327 with alpha one drive. just wanted it abit louder lol. just seems most of the Kits use both the prop exuast and the hull, where you can chose what one to run with a switch. more or less i was lookin to see what it would take to build my own, but without messurements its a shot in the dark.

Agree with wire2- you won't see any performance improvement by merely 'going loud' with a smallblock. You'd need to do some intake and carb mods to actually feel anything.
To figure measurements check here:
http://www.corsaperf.com/media/pdf/How to Measure.pdf
It's important to get it right or risk engine damage due to water reversion.

ollie947

Cadet

thank you for the pics and info. i figure thats exactly what iam going too do since i dont want to pull the motor agian too remove the Y pipe. i just have too get the right risers, some stainless pipe, and the tips.

Bondo

Staff member

i just have too get the right risers, some stainless pipe, and the tips.

Ayuh,.... You've gotta change the Manifolds too....
Swept back risers don't fit log manifolds,... You'll need center riser manifolds...