rds 23 johnson 40 hp no spark

4clancey

Recruit
does anyone know if my 40 hp johnson has a safety switch that keeps it from fireing when out of water,i cant seem to get a spark out of it

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: rds 23 johnson 40 hp no spark

Nope. There is supposed to be a safety switch that prevents it from starting in neutral.

lindy46

Captain

There's also a vacuum cut-out switch which if malfunctioning could prevent spark to the bottom cylinder only. Is the key switch on?

4clancey

Recruit

i recently replaced the carberator float and noticed vacume lines where not real snug would this prevent the vacume switch from working. also i am turning the motor over with the ignition switch so the shifter seems to be in neutral.will it still turn over but not fire.The motor had spark before i changed the float.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The switch will only cut out one cylinder but not both. If this is a remote starting setup disconnect the plug going to the remote start/controls and try pulling it over by hand with the plugs out to check for spark. If still no spark then you may have to pull the flywheel to inspect the condition of the coils/points and wiring.