fuel system issues

CarverBoat

Recruit
I have a problem keeping and engine running from my starboard gas tank. This problem came about after there was a list in the boat, so i decided to run both tank of the starboard gas tank, they ran fine, but with further investigation i wasn't pulling from the starboard tank and assumed my gauges were lying to me.

starboard engine to starboard tank and port engine to starboard tank= port engine shuts down

starboard engine to starboard tank and port engine to port tank = starboard dies

starboard engine to port tank and port engine to port tank = both engines run well

i haven't tried putting port engine to starboard tank and starboard engine to port tank yet, but i can fail the engine with the test.

I went from thinking i had a cooling issue to a fuel issue. problems started after i changed a thermostat, so i assumed it was a cooling issue. poked around in the engine tracing all the way through the cooling system and finding no problems to concluding it was a fuel supply issue. i traced through the fuel system with everything good but the problem with the engines running from the starboard tank. proper ventalation to the tank so they are breathing fine. i am not too sure how the system draws from the tank when i move the selector valves around. what is the common factor between the engines since i can get the both to fail when i want as long as they are taking gas from my starboard tank.

I'm not sure how this fuel system works with twin engines and i am unable to find a diagram to explain what i may have to replace.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel system issues

You may not find a diagram for your boat.

There's frequently an anti-siphon valve on fuel tanks to prevent fuel from siphoning out if there's a leak in the fuel system downstream of (and lower than) the tank.

If that anti-siphon valve (which is just a weak spring-loaded check valve) gets debris in it or gets a little corroded, the ball can stick and the fuel pump will not have enough suction to pull fuel through it.

Same thing can happen if your fuel pick-up screen becomes clogged with debris.

There's not much to an anti-siphon valve and they're usually fairly easy to replace.
8483.jpg

If you have the tank out you can easily flush out the tank and inspect both.

Regards,

Rick

CarverBoat

Recruit
Re: fuel system issues

I will check the anti-syphon valve out along with checking the screen. thank you