1979 Evinrude 70 hp lacking power full throttle

fryboy

Recruit
Had my boat in the shop this year..She just died last year..got new power pack installed and it ran and idled great on the muffs..I took her out to the ocean long weekend, filled with camping fishing gear, and upon trying to open her up, couldnt get full throtle out of her.Took plugs out and all looked wet.This was after starting quick and idling great as usual. Now , marine mechanic friend said he figures its the fuel pump..Did notice some gas on the fuel line going from bottom of pump to carb. No zip strips or clamps on the hose..Put new hose on and two clamps..havent tried her out yet..I changed 2 plugs over and they were still wet after idling for about 5 minutes..I tied her up tight to the wharf and then opened her as far as she would go and pulled plug off one at a time..never made much of a difference.. i did have corrosion issues after buying the boat 2nd hand last year.. took off all the wires cleaned them and the grounds great..Just no full throttle response..Does this sound like my marine buddy might be right.. and if so being a 79, having hard time trying to find fuel pump and/or rebuild kit . Model is 70ELR79

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1979 Evinrude 70 hp lacking power full throttle

438559, fuel pump.

fryboy

Recruit

Thanks very much Daviet..Appreciate it very much..Specially for the part number.. most of the models I've tried to find start at 80. Cheers.:)

canrun

Recruit

sounds like the crankshaft seal ring is bad