Should Transom Be This Small?

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Don't know why I didn't notice this earlier. Was outside trying to figure out how to remove my steering cable from the splash well, and saw this:

P8070001.jpg

and this:

P8070002.jpg

Both sides of the splash well are the same.

The plywood behind the fiberglass in photo 1 is the transom, with a piece of unattached plywood (almost) butting up to it.

Photo 2 shows that secondary piece of plywood does not extend the width of the boat. It's only there to secure through bolts.

I have 3/8" fiberglass skin across the stern of the boat, and can feel with my fingers there is nothing to suggest an 'original' wood transom was installed side to side.

Has anyone seen this before? And ... should I (just because) go side-to-side with the new transom when I install it? I will be glassing the inside of the new transom.

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Should Transom Be This Small?

I have an I/O Bayliner, but my transom is like that. Plywood around the outdrive mount, a couple other plywood pieces attached for mount points, but about 3/8" glass for most of the stern. I have a few pics in my thread where I was trying to puzzle it out before I finally removed the outdrive part of the transom.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

My Sea Ray is also like that. Actually there is only plywood about a foot either side of the centerline of the boat. The stern of my boat is only flat in this area and is curved outboard. On my boat the transom ties into the stringers with substantial knee braces glassed to tie everything all together.

RB78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, guys. Mine doesn't have any knee braces, and it isn't tied to the glass along the bottom or sides. Only against the stern. I'll tie it in when I replace it. Just doesn't feel very safe the way it is.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's all relative...... what size boat? What power's it? For a 10' jon boat it would be overkill........... really need more to the equation ;)