The Missing Clevis Pin....

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It happened....

Loaded, launched and motored to "Our Spot"... Had our Son and his GF with us. Dropped her into "N" and then a little "R" to get us stopped completely before the anchor went over. Only problem... No "R"... Not even "F".... :eek:

Before panicking, I did replace the lower shift cable about 6 weeks ago. I was running this thru my head and I recall that my SIL was doing the final adjustments to the cable. (You see where this is going right...) :confused:

I raised the Engine cover and the pin and Clip were MIA!!!. Rooted around the top of the intake and found the Pin. Alas... No clip.... BUT... I do have the tackle box onboard. :D Pulled out a #4 tru-turn hook, clipped off the barb and threaded it thru the hole and bent it to keep in inplace... You bet I will be acquiring some spare Clivis Pins and Clips...

"F and "R" are nolonger a problem. :D Boy did I look like the hero last night!!!

Just happy it turned out that NO TOW was needed!! YAY!!! :D

The Moral of this story.... KEEP SPARE BITS!!! Its not the big ones that shut you down... Its those little .19 Cent parts that can ruin a day...

Happy boating!!!

J

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: The Missing Clevis Pin....

KEEP SPARE BITS!!! Its not the big ones that shut you down... Its those little .19 Cent parts that can ruin a day...
The guys joke with me about having too many little trinkets on my tug. :)
But guess who they come to for the little things ??. :D

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: The Missing Clevis Pin....

Good thinking newboat, during a crisis you kept your cool and worked the problem, sometimes the girls are even good for a bobby pin or hair clip.