1967 Merc 20hp Bad clutch dog?

1967merc

Cadet
couple weeks ago my motor was acting funny it would go just fine then radomly rev up like the prop was spinning..finnaly shut the motor off and the prop was GONE. Got a new prop and EVER sense it runs fine at idle speed and soon as i give it some gas the prop pretty much spins in the water. Tookt he prop back..got another..same thing but i noticed the center hub on the prop had a 1/4 inch gap from the hub to the gear housing witch found out later created cavitation from escaping exhause that is suppose to go through the prop. Could it be a bad clutch dog because the boat still moves when full throttle but at a WHOLE 5 MHP that it does at slight throttle? Do they just randomly go? or is the guy at the locoal prop shop selling me bad props? He said the 1st prop may have a spun hub..so he sold me another witch i can tell is for a smaller motor? ANY HELP ON THE CLUTCH DOG? just seems strange that a prop falls off then this happens? PLEASE HELP i need as much help as i can get im only 19 and want to try and fix it before i have to go spend money to have a shop look at it..