johnson 9.5hp 1965 outboard?

adrn13

Cadet
So I just got a johnson 9.5hp 1965 outboard. I paid $350 for it. It was in ok condition. I got home and I put new plugs and clean the carb of it. I got it on a barrel and I didnt started I put some gas on the carb and it started right on I notice that the carb wasnt getting enough gas so I cut the floater a little and it started right on. I have some experience on small engines so it wasnt to hard. anyways my first question is do yall think I paid too much for it? and does anyone know what size or prop and what kind should I get for? I dis has a prop but It has some dings on it and I want to replace it.
Thank yall.

Rick.

Captain
Re: johnson 9.5hp 1965 outboard?

Well this is not the time to ask if you paid too much. You already own it so lets not dwell on that. I would recommend you do a compression test as soon as possible. If that checks out then it is worth investing more money into it. Don't look for high numbers as much as even numbers. It will be well under 100 but as long as they are within 10% you should be fine. Let us know what you find. "so I cut the floater a little" made me laugh out loud. I don't think anyone will know what you mean, but for sure I don't. Eventually you should get a factory service manual for it but again check your compression first. Have a look at this site to see parts. I think it only goes back to 68 or so but that will be close enough to view parts as those 9.5's don't have too many changes over the years. If ordering parts just give the dealer your model number and they will find the right part numbers for your engine. Best of luck. I hope it brings you years of enjoyment which it should. Rick.

adrn13

Cadet

Im sorry I didnt noticed that. It probably was my spell checker. I meant I cut the float. I tried to adjust the float pin and needle but the float was to big so I cut a part of it. I ran it today and it ran just fine.

Rick.

Captain

Well whatever floats your boat but I have to say that repair is not listed in any manual I own. LOL. I can imagine that you may end up with little pieces of cork clogging up your carb. jets in the not too distant future. Rick.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Worse than that. The shellac coating is now gone from the cork and it will sink.

1kruzer1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I'm not sure why you would need to trim a float unless someone previously installed the wrong part. Regardless, TX is correct that the float is now unsealed and will start to absorb gas and gradually "sink." It would be easiest to just replace it with the correct new part. Good luck!

jamesh1120

Cadet

Yes, I'm not sure why you would need to trim a float unless someone previously installed the wrong part. Regardless, TX is correct that the float is now unsealed and will start to absorb gas and gradually "sink." It would be easiest to just replace it with the correct new part. Good luck!

I had the same problem. The old cork becomes saturated and won float. I cut mine as well and sprayed it with carb cleaner. Id like to replace but dont know where to buy a cork float for the carb or if there is a plastic replacement. If anyone knows where I can find these parts I would apprieciate the info.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You should be able to find the parts at an OMC dealer. If they don't have it, then try Sea-Way Marine.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

BIG TIP ON CLEANIN CARBS!!! buy a welding tip cleaner set to cleam out all the jets and ports. lightly steel wool the needle. spray good with carb cleaner (airsol type). and when im all done i like to take a cheap can of wd-40 and spray all the gaskets and holes and make sure the thing is soaked. put it on and there you go (most of the time). you can buy a remplacement float on ebay plastic for about $2.50

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

the dealer will most definatly be able to find you a plastic replacement. from them probably around $15-25

Last edited: