Buzzer Problem

Hayraker

Recruit
On my 1990 70 hp Johnson, when I turn my key on, the over heat buzzer comes on and stays on and the motor hasn't even been started yet. I unhooked the tan wire going to the temp sensor and it still did it. Any ideas?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Buzzer Problem

Are you sure it is the temp buzzer, could it be something dealing with your VRO?

Hayraker

Recruit

The motor hasn't even been turned over, just turn the key on and the buzzer comes on.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you are sure it's the temp buzzer and you have disconnected the sensor, check for a shorted wire in the harness or a wire that may have rubbed on the block and shorted out.

BassFish

Cadet

If you have a remote oil tank disconnect the low oil warning system and see if that is it.

Hayraker

Recruit

It turns out my problem was a short at the buzzer itself. The buzzer is like they used to use on bicycles years ago. It only had one wire going to it and the other was hooked to the outside of the case. The mesh that was holding the wiring from touching any metal had rubbed a hole right onto the buzzer and it was shorting itself. I re-insulated the mesh with a piece of plastic and tied everything up so it can't rub anymore. Thanks for all of the input. Love this forum!