really really stuck

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I think I did this right. I have a 1994 OMC Cobra 5.0 Outdrive that is now stuck. I removed the six bolts, put it in forward, removed the trim pivot rod and set aside the hydralic lifts on a 1994 Cobra Outdrive. But it is stuck and I can't get it to budge. I just hit is with the PB blaster. What next?

Thanks.

Kevin

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: really really stuck

also, I tried to wiggle it off, but it will not budge. Thanks.

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, I just tried to drop the outdrive over and over on a block of wood. No luck. Next up, more PB blaster. Any other ideas? Where is the best place to spray the PB plaster?

Bifflefan

Commander

Sounds like you got it all. I havent done a Cobra, but I dont think you missed a step.
If it hasnt been off for along time, it may be corroded on.
Just keep trying.

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you pull the shift cable off the drive behind the cover with the 3 bolts holding it on??

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I did not. But I did read the OMC manual instructions for outdrive removal first along with the threads in this forum and no one said the shift cable needing removal. Does it really have to be removed?

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I believe its an SX style drive, if you pull that cover off and there is the end of the cable attached to the shift mechanism it has to come off or you will be fighting it. No reason to have it in forward either, thats a Mercruiser thing.

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am not sure what cover you are talking about. Pull what cover off? thanks.

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

okay, i took the cover off. Now what I am I looking for? All I see is a black hose connected to some sort of device. Are you saying that hose needs to be pulled off for the drive to come off?

By the way what is an SX style drive exactly?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think your drive is earlier than you think. if all you see is the small black water hose attached to a black small housing then im pretty sure its a 93 or earlier. the 94 and newer drives has the shift cable with the threaded attached to a shift lever end staring you in the eye. your problem could be either corrosion or the carrier stuck in the bellows. if thats what it is you may just have to keep working at it. if you could attach a pic i could let you know for sure what drive it is.

hardiek

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It turned out it was just stuck. I trimmed out the outdrive with wood ships and keep bumping it against a 2x4 and it finally came loose.

I will get you a photo tomorrow. The boat is a 1994 four winns 180 horizon SE so i thought the motor was a 1994 too. But who knows.

Thanks for you help.

Borchik

Petty Officer 2nd Class

make sure you clean off everything really well and grease everything, could be an engine alignment problem but you need an alignment tool to check that properly. of course if the drive slides right back in then its all good.