16ft ss jackplate question

flatsider45

Seaman
Anyone installed a jackplate on their 16ft ss and if so what setback would be best? I have a 6"setback jackplate now that I could use but was wondering if that might be to much.any help?I'm hanging a 2000 model 70hp johnny on it with a 19p prop.Thanks

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 16ft ss jackplate question

I've got a 6" setback PT-130 CMC bracket and it works well for my 80hp Merc.

My outboard needs some work so I haven't gotten peak performance yet but I like having the bracket.

flatsider45

Seaman

Thanks I did a mock up with it and it looks like it has a pretty good angle on it and I wondered if it would have to much strain on the transom.I planned to use a 1/2" piece of uhmw in place of the wood normally used at the motor mount and was thinking it might be too slick to hold it tightly after bolt up.It is some pretty tuff stuff and will never rot.Did yours help with handling and getting the motor to run more level on plane? Thanks Jimmy J

fshngho

Lieutenant

A 6" setback would be fine as long as:
1. The transom is in good shape, a little more stress on it.
2. Make sure when mounting motor the cavitation plate is about even with bottom of hull.
You can adjust from that point. I think they help a lot with hole shot, but the light boats generally don't have that problem.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There's a formula but I forget what it is. For every X inches of set back you can raise the motor X. So I'm sure you could start higher than even with the keel.

flatsider45

Seaman

Thanks guys, Even though it's gonna have a new transom,I'm probably going to sell the 6" and go with a 4" setback.Still should help a little,and like what was mentioned about it coming on plane it shouldn't have any trouble, It's only going to have a 70 hp johnnyrude on it so I think it will be ok.Thanks!