Warm manifolds and risers

TedCT

Cadet
Someone was telling me I should "be able to keep a drink cold" if I put it on my risers. Now I know this is a stretch. I've figured my overheating is due to insufficient raw water supply. I disconnected the raw water and put the garden hose in its place, right there at the raw water intake supply. Now it does run cool and doesn't get hot, but both manifold and risers are warm. What should I be looking for here as far as external temp on these, i.e. feeling with my hand?? Or is this guy right, they should stay cold???

Wekims

Cadet
Re: Warm manifolds and risers

You should put your hand on the manifolds and it should feel warm. If you get burned you need to change the manifold/risers.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like your impeller on the water pump is bad. If it wasn't bad before I'm pretty sure that it is now that you ran it dry for awhile. The risers will get hot to the touch but not real hot, my motor temp usuually runs around 140 to 180 degrees depending on how fast I'm going and the temp of the lake.

TedCT

Cadet

Actually, I did not run it dry, the outdrive was in the water. I simply put the hose in the bilge. But point taken. I've scheduled to have the impeller replaced. Thanks for the response!

McKenzie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Someone was telling me I should "be able to keep a drink cold" if I put it on my risers
I think there might be some truth in that, my manifolds/risers are able to keep a cold drink and my engine stays dead at 150F.