Engine clicks but it does not start

Moe12345

Recruit
I have a 2006 Ebtide boat with a 5.0 MPI Mercruser engine. Lately, when a I turn the key I only here a click, this happens a few times until it finally decides to start. New battery. Cables look clean. I've read it can be the in line spout connector. Any one has an answer/suggestions

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Engine clicks but it does not start

Starter?

ziggy

Admiral

Cables look clean.
look clean and are clean are two different things. i go through as many connections i can get to on my boat every spring when i'm going back into service. every connection looks fine but after ya hit'em with some emery cloth it's very evident that they are at the very least tarnished.

have ya been up to the adults only sticky. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 look at #2...

mkfs9

Seaman

My boat had same problem a while back. Turned out to be the solenoid, an easy ?25 part and fitted in a few minutes. Same goes for the trim motor too. But good connections and battery are essential too.

danyboy

Cadet

its the starter....all the solinoieds job is is to engage the starter plunger gear wheel to the flywheel and thats the clicking noise your hearing,so the solinoied is doing its job,its the starter thats not spinning the gear to turn flywheel over,but these days when you buy a starter its going to come with the solinioed attached already....good luck...

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

connectors can look perfect on the outside but underneath where they connect to the cable can get really corroded sometomes to the point where u can pullthe connoctor right off Go buy yourself some crimp on connectors You might have to shell out a whole 5 bucks ! Then cut a inch or two of wire { and of course the old connectors } off each end of batt cable, crimp on your shiny new connectors and see what happens. If that works slather some liquid electrical tape or some other sealant arounp the new crimp to keep moisture out U might get off with a cheap fix Try this before buying new cables etc. I had the same prob on my 86 Thundercraft and that ended up being all it was... Good Luck !

Menace2Authority

Seaman Apprentice

Make sure your cables are good and tight where they connect to the starter.
Take each batterty cable and starter cable off. Clean cable ends and battery terminals with a fine sand paper and bolts on starter where cables connect with a wire brush. Put a small amount of vaseline on starter bolts and goop vaseline on battery terminals. Re-connect cables making sure they are good and tight. Make sure battery is fully charged and not damaged (it is possible to get a defective battery). If problem still persists the starter needs to be replaced.

Rob

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

You have an assist solenoid and a starter solenoid and if either one has rusty connections or is getting sticky you can have that problem...I'd start with the assist solenoid as it's easier to get to and once that's ruled out then on to the starter solenoid...and BTW read the sticky on ignition system trouble shooting because the info you need is all there...