1990 7.4L/Bravo Starter Replacement - Does this look right???

Darin Jordan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I received the new starter for my 1990 Maxum 7.4L/Bravo.

It looks different enough than the factory starter to cause me concern.

The original starter has the following on the end-cap:

"9000762 Delco Remy US"
"0B02 SAE J1171 Marine"

The new starter is an Marine Electrical Supply, MES (www.mesmarine.com) part number:

5399MHT - Delco PMGR 1.7HT For Merc, OMC, Volvo

I ordered this on the phone, and told them what it was for. I said I wanted the heaviest duty starter I could get for my application.

The solenoid is different looking, the body is smaller, and the gears look to be a larger diameter than the stock unit. That last one may not be an issue if the offset from the mounting is adjusted accordingly, but I haven't attempted to measure that.

Anyone out there replaced their 7.4L/454/502 starter and noticed these differences between the old and new? Should I be contacting the supplier?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Would like to know I have the right part BEFORE I go through the work of installing it. After that is generally not a fun time to find out you don't have the right part. ;)

Thanks,

Attachments

• Maxum_Starter_ 001.jpg
    Maxum_Starter_ 001.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • Maxum_Starter_ 004.jpg
    Maxum_Starter_ 004.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 0

Darin Jordan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1990 7.4L/Bravo Starter Replacement - Does this look right???

Didn't get any responses, so I went for it. Works great! Can't believe just how fast the motor turns over now. Will wrap it up tomorrow and move onto installing the onboard charger.