1987 Evinrude 110 HP V4 - 2500 RPM at WOT

jmcardamone

Cadet
Good evening all,

I present my question to you knoweldgeable folks as i have read just about every thread imaginable Throughout Iboats and Im just plain stuck. Here's my Delimma...

Got a 1987 evinrude 110 HP V4 Enigne. I just bought the boat and the engine will not open up past 2,500 RPM. Ive done the following...

Starting from the boat...

Checked the Anti Siphon valve
Replaced the Fuel line from boat to Motor with new line and Bulb (and i checked the valves, they are good)
Replaced the Quick disconnects (hose and motor)
replaced Hoses from Quick disconnects to Fuel Filter
Replaced Filter
Replaced Hoses from Filter to Pump
(Mine is a VRO Pump, VRO removed and Nipple on fuel pump capped)
Replaced hose From pump to Carbs including intermediate lines and tree
Replaced hose from Filter to Engine (the pulser or something??)
Removed, Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs. (the carbs were squeaky clean when i started but i did the gambit anyway. All Orfices are Clean and Air/Cleaner flows well)
Replaced Stator and Timing ring
Replaced Spark Plugs with the Correct champions
Replaced spark plug wires
checked all the connections.
Removed the Oil level sensor, Oil Pump Sensor, and both bank temp sensors from the warning horn loop (to possibly disable slow)

After all of this, she Idles Well, Runs at 2,500 with no spits or sputters, and seems strong. I have compression across all 4 cyls' (between 100-and 110 across all 4)

what she does present with is this...
Intermittent Tach - the tach will work when it wants to.... Might be a wiring issue under the dash but could be something with the pulse
when on muffs she idles at 2,000.. when in water she idles at 1,100..
when Placing into forward gear rpms drop really low. its a crapshoot if the engine recovers or if i need to restart

I feel like its running in SLOW mode but the wiring diagram i have dosent show the SLOW system ever getting to the packs or the modules.

So at this point my next thought is to replace the 2 CD packs, the Rectifier, and the Module. Outside of those, WTF else could it be? Could a weak coil do this?

I am open to any and all suggestions....Including trading it in for a merc!

Thank you all for reading and I hope i can return the favor in the future.

Joe

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Evinrude 110 HP V4 - 2500 RPM at WOT

You can verify SLOW by grounding tan port temp wire, this will activate SLOW and turn overheat warning on.
Sounds as if your timing isn't advancing, check advance linkage, cam follower roller might be gone.

jmcardamone

Cadet

I just checked the engine again this morning and pulled the CD Packs from both sides. I found the Ground wire Compressed and severed under the pack. I repaired the wire and I am hoping to test in about an hour

Craig - I did check the Timing Linkage. There is a Roller on the Top carb's linkage Plate that makes contact with a weird lever. at WOT it opens the carbs and does pull the timing linkage, however, the Timing Linkage doesnt allways go all the way back to the stop plate. Is there some form of Spring or other item that should Pull that back to the plate? If i pull it back to the plate manually, it idles down and im guessing when i put it in gear in the lake its going back to that position. My Seloc book has Nothing for that model year on that linkage. apparently it was only on the 86 and 87. Im going to pop on Jonnyrude's site and see if i can get a parts diagram...

EDIT: I just looked at the Diagrams on evinrudes site.. I have all the parts including the cam Follower and rollers

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing you need to do is get rid of the Seloc manual. Good for basic info but you need an OMC Factory manual. E-bay or outboardbooks.com

jmcardamone

Cadet

Ok. I got it! After Doing all of the above, and Visually inspecting everything i decided to Remove the powerpacks from the motor. well On the starboard Pack i noticed That the ground wire was Pinched at one point and the Conductors were broken. I removed the bad wire and soldered on a new lead (no i didnt remove the potting, i just perfer soldering to crimp terminals) and Grounded it correctly. Brought her down to the lake, rolled that throttle over and she hopped out of the water like a frog on a hot plate. Aside from Tidying up some of the wires and repairing my warning horn/overheat warnings I think im all set with exception to the motor not seeming to charge my battery.. I think i might have a bad stator... or maybee even a bad rectifier. Dont matter, thats nickel and dime stuff now LOL.

Thanks for anyone who might have pondered this thread.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Probably a bad rectifier or dirty connection to rectifier. Thank you for posting your solution. Many times people ask for help but don't ever post their fix. That would go a long way to answering a lot of these posts.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. I got it! After Doing all of the above, and Visually inspecting everything i decided to Remove the powerpacks from the motor. well On the starboard Pack i noticed That the ground wire was Pinched at one point and the Conductors were broken. I removed the bad wire and soldered on a new lead (no i didnt remove the potting, i just perfer soldering to crimp terminals) and Grounded it correctly. Brought her down to the lake, rolled that throttle over and she hopped out of the water like a frog on a hot plate. Aside from Tidying up some of the wires and repairing my warning horn/overheat warnings I think im all set with exception to the motor not seeming to charge my battery.. I think i might have a bad stator... or maybee even a bad rectifier. Dont matter, thats nickel and dime stuff now LOL.

Thanks for anyone who might have pondered this thread.

Sounds like you've got it figured out. Good luck.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there some form of Spring or other item that should Pull that back to the plate? If i pull it back to the plate manually, it idles down and im guessing when i put it in gear in the lake its going back to that position.

Clean all linkage contact points and lube with light grease or keep it coated with LPS1 lubricant (love this stuff, but $$). Sometimes a nylon washer (Ace hardware) or two here and there can re-align worn areas.

jmcardamone

Cadet

mamm7125 - Yeah i must agree with you on the seloc manual. It was helpfull as my block and majority of the layout is the same as the 115, but outside of that, I wanted more specific information. I think i might snag up a specfic OMC manual. my Local Marine dealer had this one in stock and I figured it couldnt hurt to have it. Its neat to see 2 different manuals for the same engine sometimes. the authors can really go in different tangents on occasion :) And i wouldnt go asking for help, and then not share my victory when I fixed it :D

Craig - Good point on the lubrication. I did lube it up and she does move freely. I do think i am going to make a "handi Kit" with a bunch of nylon washers, Stainless Steel Nuts and screws, and cotter pins Just for that assembly in emergencies. I have a Harbor freight round the corner and own just about every one of thier goodie kits. I just dont have a Nylon washer kit... but i will tommorrow :D

This is my First large OMC motor. I had a 9.9 Johnson long shaft with Electric start on my First boat, and that motor was a good little motor. I have to admit im partial to the mercs but after Stripping this sucker down and putting it all back together I must say im glad the system is as simple as it is. I think the motor was owned or worked on by a Gaggle of iddiots before i got to it.

I do have one further question for anyone wishing to answer it. From my uderstanding the 110 V4 block is the same as the 115,125 and 140. Am i right to assume that if i were to change the carburator (or orificaes) to the 125 that i would then have essentially a few more ponies? Thoughts on this?