Help with Lake Powell

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 11 year old daughter has been granted a wish from the Make a Wish Foundation. Apparently, she has been watching a little to much TV. At this time, she says that she wants to rent a house boat and ski boat on Lake Powell for a week. That sounds pretty good to us because we are all about the water. Other than cruising around on the lake, through the canyons and such, what else is there to do around the lake while on land? Are there any jet boat tours of the Grand Canyon or other adventures to go on around the lake and what area would be the best to "live" for a week? I tried to get her to have the Sea Ray in my sig sent out and totally restored but she did not fall for that one. Thanks, Steven

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Help with Lake Powell

http://www.nps.gov/glca/index.htm

this is a good link to start with.
we slip and boat out of bull frog utah. there is so much to do on the lake i cant tell you where to start. you will be mostly dealing with Armark. they are the primary concessionaire on the lake as contracted by the park service. the other choice is the navaho nation stuff at antelope point.
we just like to ride around and sight see, over night, and swim in the warm water.
hope this give you enough to get started

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I hope all the best for your daughter.
If you've never been there, Lake Powell is an AWESOME place. I guarantee you'll all love it.
We did a motorhome vacation a few years ago and we stayed at a campground on Powell near Paige, AZ. We liked it so much that we changed our itinerary and stayed a few extra days!
You've gotta take her to see the Rainbow Bridge. We went there on a tour boat and along the way the guide pointed out numerous attractions and rock formations. VERY cool, but the boat ride was something like 2 hours each way. It's a BIG lake....
Those rental houseboats are beautiful- and quite large. If you're not used to operating a boat that size it could be very intimidating- especially when the wind picks up. I know I'd be nervous, and I own a fairly large boat. Whatever you ultimately do, good luck.

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube today. Beautiful lake. Thanks, Steven

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

so whats up

did you go? when are you going? did you change your mind?

69rrvert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, we met with a few MAW representitives this past Sunday,and it appears that a housboat, on Lake Powell, with a ski boat will be considered multiple wishes. My wife and I are trying our best to let her make a her on wish, but she is only 11 and really don't know what's out there in this world. She saw saw the Lake Powell deal on the Travel Channel a while back. Anyway, my wife and I brain stormed ideas for her from parties, shopping sprees, meeting a celebrity, Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, to different vacations just trying to show her what's available. She thought about for a few days and decided that since she loves the water, that her wish is to go to Atlantis in the Bahamas. Also, a "travel wish" has to be taken during the "off peak" season. I don't think the houseboat thing will go very well during the fall or winter months. We went on a cruise when she was 9, and she had no issues with swimming with the sting-rays in Grand Cayman or snorkling as well. I appreciate the help and a houseboat on Lake Powell will definatly be a vaction that we would like to take some day. Thanks, Steven

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

well tough luck

in case you weren't aware; after labor day weekend till, can go clear till thanksgiving is some of the nicest days on the lake.

no crouds-considered off season. the water in sept and oct is still warm days are more moderate temp and cools down at night.
was asking how you were coming, to tell you to consider coming in the fall.

also you cant trailer your boat??

any way sound like you will have a nice trip where ever you go.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

also boat rentals will be considerably less after sept. I believe. Alot better deals out there then.