1978 riviera 14'11 foot tri-hull: Floor Replacement project:

mr.lopez

Cadet
I just purchased a 1978 riviera 14'11 foot tri-hull with a 77, 70hp evinrude thats runs like a top...all for $500. my issue is it has a soft floor and i was wondering if its worth replacing the floor on it? or should i junk it and keep the motor? i dont know much about boats and was just needing some advice... thanks, any will help.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
Re: need some advice?

Do you like the boat? There is some work in replacing the deck, but tons of people have done it. Just use the search function and read through some of the restores here, it will give you an idea of what you would be getting into. If it's a hull that you like I say go for it! Just remember, if you buy another hull, depending on how much you want to spend, you migh be in the same situation you're in right now. Another thing to think about, it's nice to be on a boat that you know has been fixed up the right way... I've read some newly purchase boat horror stories on this site!

mr.lopez

Cadet

yes i like the boat....seems like a good starter boat...its very simple and basic design... i think i'm gonna take on the project:)

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Alright! Now, the first thing you have to do is post some pictures ;)

mr.lopez

Cadet
Re: 1978 riviera 14'11 foot tri-hull: Floor Replacement project:

ok so i started take out the floor and noticed it was replaced before ....someone placed new plywood over the old one then glassed it but something went wrong cause the floor was completely rotted...anyway i posted some pics so y'all can see...i ripped out top plywood floor and still have the original floor to remove..i also noticed that underneath it is stuff full of foam and it looks soaked...is there a way to dry this foam or will it have to be replaced? transom looks ok and solid from the outside looks like it was repaired also....
Photo0016.jpg

Photo0017.jpg

Photo0018.jpg

Photo0022.jpg

Photo0024.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

mr.lopez

Cadet

ok done tearing out floor and foam...as you can tell in the pic the boat only has one stringer (rotted) starting from the bilge going up to the start of the bow...should i run new stringer from transom to the bow or leave it original? also should i add a couple more? the foam in it was soaked wet so i removed it ? is it necessary to put foam back in? if so can i use styrofoam? i want to make a waterproof deck any advise would help thanks!
Photo0033.jpg

Photo0032.jpg

katjacdan

Recruit

please call EDIT, I have some questions

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!
Really don't want to rain on your parade, BUT... your pictures and descriptions lead me to tell you this. I HIGHLY suspect that your transom is BAD. You need to drill some exploratory holes into it to find out it's condition. Take a 3/8 inch drill and from the INSIDE of the boat drill some 3/8 inch hole into the transom about 3/4" deep. Drill the holes about 2" up from the bottom all along the bottom at 6 or 7 places. You should get light tan DRY shavings, if you get Brown WET shavings then you will need to remove and replace the transom. Boats of this vintage and with wet foam and rotted stringers typically have bad transoms too. If it IS bad you will Probably need to remove the top CAP of the boat to get to the transom. There are plenty of examples on the forum on how to do this. Since you have gone this far you really need to make sure the transom is OK. If you fix the deck only to find out the transom is bad later and then have to tear your new deck back out you would NOT be happy.

I'm just sayin...:D