What exactly is needed for electronic IGN conversion for 89 5.7 OMC?

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am going to be converting my 5.7 OMC engine to electronic IGN.

I know I need a new ESA module that is compatible with electronic IGN, and a new distributor and coil.

Is it correct that if I get the new ESA module that is compatible with electronic IGN that I dont have to do the resistor box thing mod that has been talked about on here?

Any of you done it? What dist and module did you use?

Can anyone tell me a good combo that will work good (dist, coil, and ESA)?

Also when I look at ESA's online all I see is a little module with wires coming out of it with connectors. Is that all it is? Its not the little rocker arm that gets engaged when you shift?

Thanks so much

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: What exactly is needed for electronic IGN conversion for 89 5.7 OMC?

buy the delco marine EST ign kit.
sold by sierra and a few others.
wire the shift inturrupt just like a mercruiser and all the problems are solved and no ESA module.

LAC_STS

Is there a diagram or instructions on how to do it somewhere?

I remember seeing a post by Don S that had some images attached to it and he was showing how to do it but I cant find it now.

Thanks

LAC_STS

Isnt this wiring like a mercruiser the same thing as the fix that you use the resistors from Radio Shack wire it up? Or is it different?

I have read some posts on here where members have done it and then it stops working a little while after or doesnt last long.

If thats the case then Id rather just buy a newer style ESA module.

But if Im wrong and they are in fact two different things then Im all for wiring it like a merc.